What's new

Coilpack Bolts

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
well royally screwed this up:furious: was trying to confirm my sparkplugs so i could get a colder version from the local motor shop over the upcoming weekend now I've carried out the FBU on my car (nicer having a consent 0.9 Bar instead of it surging).

Instead i managed to snap off the bolt that holds Coil Pack 1 to the head. It's a pretty clean snap so i cant get a tool on it to remove the last bit. I've also found that my socket i would normal use for sparkplugs wont work either :wack: so any suggestions on the correct one.

Guess I'll have to take the car to a garage and get it done, might as well have them change the oil while they are at it.

I've put the coil pack back in place and have replaced the cover, turned the engine over and it seems ok, just gonna have to avoid the potholes tonight in Leeds

Reaction score
Country
at least you didnt snap off a cam cap bolt like i did once :eek:, but if you cant tap around on the bolt with a punch to see if it will come out easy then as mentioned above is the best option

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol I've snapped one of my coilpack bolts so using an ingenious bodge method of small metal plate bolted down on top of coilpack using spark cover bolt... I'll upload a pic it looks rubbish but hey it works for now.

Got a replacement rocker cover to fit which Mr Peglio will be painting for me :)

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Was proper bricking it after i did that, spent the remainder of the day searching the web for any similar story's of it happening and was surprised its pretty common on the SR20 based forums.

Will have a look at this from machine mart but even if i do get the remainder of the thread out i don't have any bolts to replace it are they just standard Machined 10mm bolts?

Learn't my lesson though, engine completely cold before working on it and to use a torque wench to under the bolts (used to just check tightness afterwards)

Reaction score
Country
the bolt size and thread is very common in your engine bay if it helps all jap cars use metric thread, take out another bolt from a coil pack pop down to your local supply for this kind of thing you could also go to a engineering shop cost next to nothing, and this time read the S15 manual for a torque setting :) , you will need a low range torque wrench for most settings under 25Nm the normal wrenches that are about 2ft long you can buy at hardware shops these are only good for settings over 20Nm