What's new

Diff and drive shafts swap information

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

I have got a 2 way Diff on my S15 but it isn't for me so going back to the original diff (If anyones interested in a swap + cash my way)

Anyway I went to the garage just to have a full inspection to make sure every things okay, when he was checking he said there was quite a bit of play in the drive shafts so I'm wondering is that normal feel when you have a 2 way diff or if they have gone where can i get new drive shafts from?

The diff works fine how it should, just on the road not my sort of driving feel.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Where exactly was the play in the drive shafts? In a CV joint?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah you will have to be more specific I'm afraid, it could be diff backlash or play in the CV joints.

If you'd been two months earlier I would have swapped you my helical diff for a 2 way. But now I've bought one! I do have my old stock helical diff, in it's casing complete with shafts BUT I'm keeping it for spares! :)

I know Matty B is looking for a 2 way. Look in the wanted adds!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
The play is not in a CV joint its when you hold the shaft straight after it comes out of the diff it turns about 1-2cm either direction. Yer seen that Matty B wants one but looking at the price of a helical diff may just buy one anyway and keep the 2 way just incase.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Whats needed if swapping from a 2 way diff back to a helical diff? seen on eBay you can buy a helical on its own or a helical with side flange set?

Also whats the going price for a Helical Diff I would like to just buy one and keep the 2 way.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Cheers s15 sam

If youvwant to sell the 2way jaysan let me know as im still looking.

If you do decide to sell any chance you could make a little video so i can see the play your on about. Also what make is it. And any history

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Cheers s15 sam

If youvwant to sell the 2way jaysan let me know as im still looking.

If you do decide to sell any chance you could make a little video so i can see the play your on about. Also what make is it. And any history
I meant to type jaypan sorry dude

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi Matty B well took it to my local performance garage for second opinion (SevernValley Motorsport) and the play is normal. As for make i can't say until iv taken it apart unless theres another way to tell?

The car is on 52k and a 2001 plate fresh import. No problems with the diff works spot on just not for me as a daily. Do you know if its a straight swap for a helical or do you need other parts like the `side flange'.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well it all depends on what bolt pattern the "side flanges" are, and what drive shafts are on your car! If you have stock s15 bolt pattern flanges then you just need a new internal diff, but if you've got Nismo diff with matching flanges then you'd need them too!

Tbh your better of trying to find a complete diff in pumpkin with output shafts and also find out if your drive shafts are stock!