What's new

Is a turbo time necessary?

Reaction score
Country
Is a turbo timer necessary?

I guys.

My car has got a turbo timer on it at the moment. The car is running about 245 at the wheels.

Im getting a Clifford C650 put on it soon so the turbo timer will have to come out.

I can get a turbo timer installed on the alarm itself though but im wondering is it's even necessary..

Was chatting to someone at Japfest saying the turbos are water cooled, so I assume that means it doesn't need to be kept on to cool down, correct?

Cheers.

Tom

Last edited:

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Got one on mine been meaning to take off, never use it! I always try drive off boost near home or setting off does same job. Taking mine off as insurance can get chewwy if ones fitted and its nicked. Not worth the hassle for something I dont use IMO :)

Reaction score
Country
Turbo timers aren't needed unless you've removed the water lines to the turbo. As mentioned above just driving off boost for a couple of miles or let the car run on for 30 seconds or so is enough IMO.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I don't think they are needed. The other thing you need to consider is if it is legal. Turbo timers in Australia (New South Wales, but I am sure they are in other states too) are illegal.

Reaction score
Country
I don't think they are needed. The other thing you need to consider is if it is legal. Turbo timers in Australia (New South Wales, but I am sure they are in other states too) are illegal.
why........ thats just stupid, someone in the OZ government needs to get a life

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
why........ thats just stupid, someone in the OZ government needs to get a life
something about leaving the vehicle unattended while running.

Reaction score
Turbos are water and oil fed. If you are giving it a boot full it is a good idea to give the water/oil time to cool down. Turning it off while the turbo is still very hot can cause the oil to cook in the turbo. A timer is handy if you want to leave your car quickly or youv'e been doing tack or drift sessions.

Reaction score
Country
Turbos are water and oil fed. If you are giving it a boot full it is a good idea to give the water/oil time to cool down. Turning it off while the turbo is still very hot can cause the oil to cook in the turbo. A timer is handy if you want to leave your car quickly or youv'e been doing tack or drift sessions.
second that and if you take you car in for a dyno tune

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Tbh most turbo timers are set to 30secs-1min. And if your too lazy to wait that time when you get somewhere like home, then shame on you.

So yes agreed turbo timers are pointless and for lazy people.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Turbo timers are cack dude. There a pain in the arse. The best tjing to do is just drive sensible for the last 2 minutes of your journey and the turbo will cool down before you stop

Reaction score
Country
Hi

I knew that was the reason for a TT on an oil fed, but I thought because of the water cooling it would prevent the oil from burning?

Reaction score
It's all about choices, if you don't like them then thats fine, whatever rocks your S15 boat. Some people like them for different reasons to yourself, a good response to the intial question would be to hear from both sides of the fence with informed answers.

Reaction score
Hi

I knew that was the reason for a TT on an oil fed, but I thought because of the water cooling it would prevent the oil from burning?
You have to take into account the small amount of water circulating in the housing and the heat generated on the exhaust side of the turbo after periods of spirited driving.

I have seen exhaust housing's glowing red hot after track work,water temps of 95c+ (at the radiator) and oil temps in the 130c region. That water needs to recirculate for a couple of minutes to stabilise. You stop the car and the cooling stops.

Reaction score
Country
Ahh ok I see. Thanks for the explanation :)

Sounds like its no big loss as I can be my own turbo timer :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one, and I do both. Don't drive like a loony and switch off the car as it's not good, end of. I ease off when I am reaching my destination and then use the timer also, best of both words. For £15 I like the convenience, but of it were the choice of that and another sensor for the alarm ie: tilt, then I would take the sensor.

As for insurance and legality. Mine is fully declared with Flux and they've never had an issue with it. The legal side of things as I recall is you are not allowed to leave a motor vehicle running unattended on the public highway. Therefore driveways, car parks etc are fine.