What's new

On boost compressor surge

Reaction score
Country
the other night my car started to make compressor surge whilst boosting, instead of a nice clean boost noise it was fluttering rather noticeably,
exactly like the nose in the youtube clip below, all be it this car i would say is running way more boost then 1bar

just before this, i have put the stock BOV back on and plugged the little hole, also a 60mm T/B came up cheaply so just to see if it would make any difference i threw that on.

[video=youtube;nCj6Spwl1CU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nCj6Spwl1CU[/video]

Im putting the 50mm back on just to see if its that, i did a boost leak test including BOV loop, first time ever no boost leaks.
I adjusted the voltage on the tps to exactly what the 50mm was.

and i have now just broken the T/B gasket and will have to wait to get another one...... so in the mean time anyone had that before?

Reaction score
Country
-1 when i went for a drive, year about 11pm. increased O2 density you reckon?

Reaction score
-1 when i went for a drive, year about 11pm. increased O2 density you reckon?
Man, you could induce a boost spike with air that cold. Most definatly cold dense air increases combustion and compressure surge, ppsssshhttt.

I love Winter and so does my turbro.......:nod:

Reaction score
Country
well it was after coasting along at 200 for about 2min off load, then giving it full load through 3 gears, and the core is way to big for the setup im running, the cold pipe must have had a wind chill factor of -15

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It was probably the ice coming off the compressor blades. :p

Reaction score
Country
in that moment i must admit for a stock tune jobbie it pulled like it had a way bigger snail on there, and a small word of surprise was uttered, but then the flutter started and the air temp was the last thing on my mind. so a once a new gasket comes along ill put the 50 back on and since stock cams and a 50 are a good mix, ill save the 60 for later down the line but for now ill drive it in the day time and see what happens

Reaction score
Country
year well my end goal is 220 atw maybe abit more depending if it stick with the stock tub or not.. if a larger one comes along i will up the cams and the intake, so then i will have to use my 60

Reaction score
Iv'e still got mine as I still want to maintain throttle response. I'm running a 2178R, Tomei Cams, Nismo 555's, Z32 and putting out a safe 230KW on 19psi. It's a balance between lag or response...its very easy to get the former.

Last edited: