What's new

rough idle and sometimes coughs when driving

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
hello all did my first drift day on Saturday but near the end of the day the car started to idle strange, idle was jumping up and down and then when driving home the car was coughing almost like a misfire but only for a second and then drove fine.

i stopped for some fuel and the car wouldn't start up was just turning and turning, i took out one of the spark plugs and they weren't wet but there was a smell off fuel in the combustion chamber.

also when i was driving with the throttle constant (not accelerating) my air fuel ratio gauge was moving from around 17 to 11

am i right in thinking that the idle control valve could cause this, maybe its sticking. and can i clean it out with carb cleaner without damaging it.

or do you have any other suggestions on what could be wrong.

the only problem is that im away from home at the minute so i cant look at it for another week and a half.

your suggestions will be much appreciated and ill let you know how i get on once im home.

thanks for looking

matty

Reaction score
Country
Something could have come loose causing the readings to be inaccurate, and so the tune to run?

Reaction score
Yes you can clean you ICV with carby cleaner. What type of bow off valve are you running ? Have you had a look at your boost hoses for a leak ?

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Ill have a look for a leak and im running a horsham developments bov.

Reaction score
Country
Yes you can clean you ICV with carby cleaner. What type of bow off valve are you running ? Have you had a look at your boost hoses for a leak ?
do you just spray the crap out of those two holes in the alloy casting, where the spring is to remove all the black gunk or is there more to it?

Reaction score
do you just spray the crap out of those two holes in the alloy casting, where the spring is to remove all the black gunk or is there more to it?
Yes,take it off the Plenum and spray the black gunk out of it through the holes where it attaches. Comes up a treat

Reaction score
Country
Yes,take it off the Plenum and spray the black gunk out of it through the holes where it attaches. Comes up a treat
will do that, just as part of the maintenance, while me cars not going anywhere

Reaction score
I don't know if you get it in NZ, but the Nulon Carby Cleaner works a treat. I even use it on my plugs before I put them back in.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Im going to clean the idle valve, check for boost leak, change fuel filter. But im not home for a week and a half so ill let you know how i get on. Thanks

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Iv not drove it much but it seams to have gone away. Iv read somwhere that this can be caused by a coil pack on its way out. So im going to buy a set of splitfire coil packs and clean the icv when im home. Ill let you know how i get on