What's new

Redline shockproof gearbox oil

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've used it for years and it's brilliant stuff. No gearbox complaints at all in 3 years of ownership.

The Nissan oil is by no means the best you can get.

Reaction score
Country
Stick with the oe nissan gear oil imo, if you want to quieten it down overfill it a bit......
Surely it's better to use a better quality oil than OE and fill it with the right amount?

I've used it for years and it's brilliant stuff. No gearbox complaints at all in 3 years of ownership.

The Nissan oil is by no means the best you can get.
Cheers Craig. Do you use it neat or do you mix it with another oil?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
my other half was recommended this stuff today for his skyline box. Its crunching in second and darren at GDUK reckons it should stop it. Think were going to bulk buy it and swap the oil in the 15 and the skyline for it.

Reaction score
Surely it's better to use a better quality oil than OE and fill it with the right amount?
What makes you think the Redline oil is better quality than the oe stuff?? Several gearbox engineers have recommended that I use the oe stuff over the redline lightweight shockproof and I have used both oils myself - there was no noticable difference with the redline oil. Have a look at the gearbox thread regaurds overfilling the box, i think everyone who has done it would recommend it as the box holds such a small amount of oil at the stock level that if you spend long periods of time in 6th on the motorway it can get very hot. Overfilling can also help with noise levels and shift notchyness.....

Reaction score
Country
What makes you think the Redline oil is better quality than the oe stuff?? Several gearbox engineers have recommended that I use the oe stuff over the redline lightweight shockproof and I have used both oils myself - there was no noticable difference with the redline oil. Have a look at the gearbox thread regaurds overfilling the box, i think everyone who has done it would recommend it as the box holds such a small amount of oil at the stock level that if you spend long periods of time in 6th on the motorway it can get very hot. Overfilling can also help with noise levels and shift notchyness.....
As far as I was concerned 'OE' oil would just be bog standard generic "It'll do the job" oil.

The redline is made to give complete protection for the internals.

Also they kill a lot of smurfs to be able to product it so it must be worth the effort!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Those smurfs do suffer!!
Redline gearbox oil is better by far than OE spec oil! unless your buying REAL OE stuff, which is Motul gearbox oil! Your standard comma gearbox oil with the same SAE's etc will not be as good and will breakdown alot more quickly! guys on a USA forum did a comparison, with a few gearbox oils and redline came out tops with it's abilities to maintain composition!

I certainly noticed a difference, after changing from OE spec stuff to redline, just costs a bomb but well worth it.

Mans Haz is right about over filling, put about 2.2-2.4litres in!

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for your input Sam.

Price doesn't bother me in the slightest. I didn't come into Jap ownership expecting bargains. haha

Also it's a small price to pay for prolonging the life of my gearbox. Fair enough if overfilling helps it, from your comment it looks like I'll put 2.3 in ;)

Reaction score
Country
I've just got some of the redline lightweight shockproof and will be putting it in shortly and overfilling as is recommended by most so will be interested to see the results. However i read somewhere about having to extend the breather for the gearbox when overfilling, can anyone give me a rough idea of whats involved in this before i set about it ?

Reaction score
Country
just pull off the breather hose thats on there and put a longer one on, hook it up round the brake lines to keep it out of the way

Reaction score
Country
SR boxes prefer gl4 grade oil else the synchros will start to corrode using gl5.

Im running Redline MT90 which is gl4 and comes highly recommended by a lot of people, ive also overfilled the box quite a bit and it feels nice.

Reaction score
Country
Hmm, interesting. I've seen a lot of people say they use MT90 and a lot of people say they use Lightweight Shockproof. haha

Cheers Craig, doesn't matter now anyway, Opie are showing all their discounts straight away anyway. lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I was talking to the Opie guys at Japfest and they really know their stuff. If you're in doubt give them a call and they'll talk you through the differences and advantages of each oil.