What's new

Bolt on turbo on S15 NA

R

rockabunny

HI guys,

I own a stock Silvia S15 Spec S Automatic as a general everyday car. Was thinking of having a bit of fun with it so was wondering is it possible to put a bolt on turbo on it? I am not looking to make it a monster track car or anything. Just a bit of a boost. I don't want to consider the half cut option as I would like to keep it as stock as I can cause like I said. It is just an everyday car. What problems will I face and what else would i need to change to accommodate for the bolt on if that is even possible. Cheers!

Reaction score
Quite a bit of work,it's not a simple as it sounds. You'll need new manifold,exhaust,boost controller of some sort,and automatic ECU from a Spec R,new inducton system MAF sensor,intercooler, turbo lines tapped into the block for water and oil and possibly a new fuel pump and FPR. You then have to take into account the different compression ratio when tunning it.

D

daffron

I have done this, although it was a manual.

It cost my around $8000NZD including chip and dyno tune.

I used :
t28bb turbo
FMIC
480cc injectors
N60 RB AFM
Stainless Manifold and 3 inch exhaust
Tomei FPR
and other supporting mods

I made 190kw atw ( about 250hp at the wheels)

and this car is my daily driver

I am unsure how tuning would occur in an automatic, as the tuner usually loads up 4th.
Would you enjoy it more by converting to manual?

Reaction score
Country
I noticed that no one mentions the fact that the na engine is high compression so if you do decide to turbo the car running more than about 0.6 bar can cause problems and with all the supporting mods you are likely to have trouble keeping the boost down (will usually creap a little but I may be wrong here)

in my opinion, yes you can do it but it's better to swap the engine, loom, ecu, cool packs from a turbo and keep the cams and throttle body from the na and your on to a winner :)

have fun!

R

rockabunny

Yeah sounds to me the problems are quite similar on most threads. I am curious though. What did they do to the SR20DE engines on the Autech? How did they achieve a 200HP? Does anybody know?

Reaction score
Country
higher compression, bigger cams, different map and possibly larger injectors