What's new

SR20DET idle problem

E

Endless

Hi, when I turn on my engine, my idle will go up down up down in the rev range, from like almost stalling to a higher rpm than normal. When it drops the engine shake as it is about to stall. However, this problem will go away after few mins of driving, but it does happen every time when I just turn on my engine for the first time in a day. Do you guys have this problem? I heard I can solved this by cleaning the AFM, is that true? and how do I clean it? :confused:

Reaction score
do you have an aftermarket computer. If so, its a tuning issue and should be fixed by the tuner. Other wise maybe try fiddling with your Idle control valve.

E

Endless

dcoghlan said:
do you have an aftermarket computer. If so, its a tuning issue and should be fixed by the tuner. Other wise maybe try fiddling with your Idle control valve.
I have the stock computer, so that shouldn't be the issue, where exactly is the idle control valve or the throttle position sensor?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Does the car feel slower?
A friend of mine had a similar problem on his GTI-R. Turned out to be a boost leak from a intercooler pipe not fastened properly.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You would know if that was the reason, it also gets very loud when you put your foot down :nod:

One of my intercooler pipes (hot side) came loose when i 1st got the car, scary moment and total loss of power :eek:

R

robf

up & down

You will find the idle valve middle of plenum (cam side) two valves on same mounting,idle valve "IACV "s one nearest front. They get sooted up ,give em a clean Carefully as there are springs and wee pistons? which can pop out.You will prob need to adjust idle after cleaning.Best of all >>>go check out the manual,makes things easier and harder to go pear shaped + the other suggestions,esp the AFM. Have you got a K&N filter = possible reason .

R

robf

AFM

With care>>i use electrical contact cleaner ,just spray it over elements +2 .Best not to touch