What's new

Diagnosis requested for the following symptoms

Reaction score
Country
Before I begin, yes. I googled and yes I used the search function.

About a week ago I increased my boost using a cheap boost tee (not ideal but I'll get a better controller later) and now my car spikes to around 1.4 bar and settles at 1.1 ish.

That's not the problem though, I'm just letting you know in case it's important

So here's the problem: I'm using coolant. My car is overheating and sucking from the radiator like a prostitute on pay-day. I was giving the car some foot-to-the-floor action when I first noticed it overheating and the radiator was bone-dry.

I know what sort of things usually come up as the diagnosis but here goes the symptoms:

Using coolant
Overheating like a B****
NO visible leaks under car (none that equate to the amount I'm losing anyway)
From day one I was told there was an unknown oil leak (which is quite obvious now. There is sludge all down the front of my engine block)
When it overheated, the oil dipstick was popped out under pressure.

Does this mean I have a head gasket issue? And if so, how much would it hit me in the pocket to get this fixed? (kiwis might be of more help on that final question)

:cry:

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked the turbo water lines? It's unlikely you'll see a leak as the water would evaporate first?

Reaction score
Country
No but I will check tomorrow.

Is the oily sludge down the side of the engine not an indicator towards the head gasket though? And that the oil dipstick popped out under pressure possibly because of water in the sump evaporating and expanding? Not that I'm ruling out turbo lines but I'm just thinking it through is all

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed but check the simple stuff first I reckon... Have you got a standard HG?

S

S15 SILVIA

Does sound a little like head gasket. May have blown it with excessive boost?
Not sure what the standard head gasket will take as far as boost levels go.
Personally my first thought would be to do a compression test, and also pressurise the cooling system and check for leaks.

Reaction score
Country
Agreed but check the simple stuff first I reckon... Have you got a standard HG?
Yea I'm 99% sure the entire engine block is standard from an s14

Does sound a little like head gasket. May have blown it with excessive boost?
Not sure what the standard head gasket will take as far as boost levels go.
Personally my first thought would be to do a compression test, and also pressurise the cooling system and check for leaks.
I had a feeling it would have been due to the boost.

I'll check the turbo lines today but I don't have the equipment to do compression tests and what not. That's all way over my head

Last edited:
S

S15 SILVIA

My mates got all that test equipment, but I live a bit too far from you. :)
give it a good check over, and if all fails, take her to a garage for them to check her over. Save buying equiptment youay not need.

Reaction score
Country
Yea might have to start asking around for some quotes in the area. Cheers for the extra mind-power guys, always good to re-affirm your hypothesis :)

Reaction score
I'd be swaying towards head gasket, take your plugs out and have a look at the electrode for fouling. Do you have any white smoke coming out the exhaust. If your seals are blown in the turbo, you will use oil and water as well.

Reaction score
Country
This all happened at night time so I didn't see smoke. I checked the oil and I'm pretty sure it's still good from memory. I could only smell coolant when it happened, no other oil burning types of smells

Reaction score
Country
better not continue to boost it, you may just blow the turbo/engine. Check the compression of the cylinder and probably the HG is gone. Think your oil levels could be low too, so better top up.
Suggest 1.2mm HG to boost to such levels.

You may need an oil cooler. Change the thermostat to low temp one.