What's new

Brake pads - choices?

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Are EBC Yellowstuff pads comparable to Ferodo DS2500's?

I've had Ferodo's on my S13 and S15, and am really happy with them. However Yellowstuff seem to get good reviews and are a third of the price cheaper! I would go with DS2500's but they are out of stock at DBPower currently...

So questions:

Are they cheaper for a reason?
Any problems when they are cold, and/or using these for a daily drive?
How are the Yellowstuff for dust?
Any good for the rear?

ALS

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have the Ferodo DS2500's on my Silvia and the EBC Yellowstuffs on my Almera.

The DS2500's make a lot of dust but are very good. I would say they perform best when cool - warm, but ideal for spirited road driving I've not had them hot because my rotors are 356/300mm so dissipate the heat before they have chance to get hot.

The EBC Yellowstuff are also a very good pad but definitely work better when warm - hot. They still work well when cold but do not bite as well.
I've had mine so hot that the yellow paint on them has bubbled off them, but they still worked great and I was unaware of how hot they were. The Almera is now fairly light though at 950kg, running standard brakes with front ducts, so not sure how they would perform in a full weight Silvia. My wheels are matt black so difficult to see how much dust they make and I only drive it on track.

Shouldn't be a problem using them on the rear but I would have the same pads front and rear if youre going for performance ones.

How do you use your car? And what brakes do you have fitted?

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers Craig

I don't drive it slow :) medium/fast road is what I want, however I don't want to park on a hill and find that the handbreak doesn't hold it with Yellowstuff, or be puttling round Slough and not be able to stop when some nutter pulls out in front of me.. (dunno if you have seen the driving in Slough??) :mad:

I have the DB power 315mm front kit and (will have very shortly) their 290mm rear kit (Brembro grooved discs)

ALS

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I am running Subaru STI brembo's and use Performance Friction pads, and they are probably the best I've used, very long lasting and didn't even get brake fade around the Nurburgring :) and I've tried the DS2500's..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
For fast road I'd probably go for the DS2500's then as the cold bite is much better than the EBC.

Performance Frictions have good reviews but are expensive and you won't need the extra benefits of them for road use. I've heard they are good on track though :)

Reaction score
EBC pads are cheap for a reason, stick with the Ferodo 2500's, they are a very good street and occasional track day pad.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
EBC pads are cheap for a reason, stick with the Ferodo 2500's, they are a very good street and occasional track day pad.
Do explain. I've used both and prefer the EBC's on track.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
There does seem to be a big change in views of Yellow and Red stuff on the SXOC since EBC changed their compound in recent years??

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
EBC now do a bluestuff pad which is designed for track. I would have bought them if they make them for the Almera.

Yellowstuff pads are very good though, especially for the money.

Reaction score
Country
There does seem to be a big change in views of Yellow and Red stuff on the SXOC since EBC changed their compound in recent years??
after a search it seams that people have a few moans about them but that all seams to be from the early product, but since as you said that they have changed there compound there hasn't seamed to be any complaints more good review like what craig said, so if you remember ask me in a few months and ill give you a review on the yellowstuff. I would rather go with something like Endless or some other high end pad but the cost just isn't justifiable for a weekend car

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I agree and I'll provide some feedback too as I have decided to go with these all round too.

after a search it seams that people have a few moans about them but that all seams to be from the early product, but since as you said that they have changed there compound there hasn't seamed to be any complaints more good review like what craig said, so if you remember ask me in a few months and ill give you a review on the yellowstuff. I would rather go with something like Endless or some other high end pad but the cost just isn't justifiable for a weekend car

Reaction score
Do explain. I've used both and prefer the EBC's on track.
They have a reputation for catching fire and one friend has encountered this first hand, They are known to seperate from their backing plate and at higher temps very prone to brake fade. Google them,you will find plenty of dissatified users.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Perhaps these were the issues which have been ironed out. Like I say, I've used the same set on 4 or 5 track days now and even though there's not a lot of pad left, they still perform very well. I've burnt the yellow paint off them too so they are clearly getting very hot and coping well. Any pads will fade if you get enough heat in the brakes.

It's like anything, as soon as one persons had a problem the whole world knows about it. They don't however hear about the thousands of people who have no problems at all.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I work in Network support and I can empathise with that comment :D

It's like anything, as soon as one persons had a problem the whole world knows about it. They don't however hear about the thousands of people who have no problems at all.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've now had Yellowstuff fitted all round for approx 150 miles and so far I am impressed...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Glad you like them Als. Do you find they bite sharper when there's a bit of heat in them?