What's new

Gearbox whine

Reaction score
Country
hiya.

i have used the search button but im still a bit confused as to what is exactly wrong and what i need to do to remedy it!

had a slight whine from the box, when pedal is up. now got a bit louder and can just hear it when driving. low gears.

so clutch release or input shaft bearing?, noise disappears when i press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

how easy is it to change these items? what will happen if left for a while?

cheers in advance

Burnsy

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
If it changes when you put your foot on the clutch, I would say it is the clutch throw out bearing. Unfortunately it is a gearbox off job. If you were going to change the clutch, that would be the time. Also do the input sheaft bearing as well.

Reaction score
Country
cheers for the reply bud, is it more cost effective to have the bearing and shaft changed on mine rather than a new box?
im perfectly happy with the 6sp, but if i had it out i would want to strengthen it so it could handle more power. rough figures what does a standard box take??

cheers

Reaction score
350bhp-350lb/ft is about your limit on the six speed - no guarantees though some people are fine with more, some have problems below this level. Generally if you want these srt of power levels then and alternate box is required - look in the gearbox thread for loads of info!!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's normal to have some noise from the box. Especially considering it's about 2ft from your ear with just a bit of fabric between you and it. The noise you hear is probably just the input shaft spinning.

I would just leave it and see what happens unless it's severely loud. By the time you've spent a fortune having the problem (which may not even exist) fixed, you could have bought another box..

Reaction score
Country
cheers for the replies boys, i would leave it but its damn annoying! i can hear it clear as a bell outside the car.

my gearbox is definitely on the limit then! shes running 350 lb/ft! what are the options after this sort of power????

Reaction score
Country
standard, do have an exedy clutch ready to go in, came with the car and ive forgotten what Jez said what type it was!