What's new

Start problems 2000 spec R

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Hi,

I have used the search, only a few things came up that might have helped me, but it did not in my case. Problem:

The very short winter we had here in NL, killed my previous battery. Replaced it and the car ran fine. Since im without a job, ive left it sitting on my driveway. One week later I had an job interview, started fine, but when I wanted to go home, it didnt start. Turning the key did nothing, tho you could here the magnetic switch go, or some sort of a electrical click? All the lights in the car incl headlights worked fine. Battery booster on it, fired up immediatly. Drove it for a fair bit, cause i thought the battery could be empty or something. Parked it and left it.

One day later I needed the car again, nothing. Got the battery out and had it tested at a shop. Battery was fine but needed charging. Did that and car worked fine again. Drove it a few times last week up to yesterday. Had a meet, parked it, afterwards I stopped for gass, started fine again, but when I was home, I did something with the clutch and the car stalled. Wanted to start it again and again nothing. Thank god i was home, but the funny thing is, after a few times trying to just turn the ignition on, suddenly out of no where it started again. Let it run a bit, stopped it, try to start it again nothing.

Its the weirdest thing tbh, when changing the battery, I redid the ground wiring, because I saw some corrosion on it etc so that is not it I think. Could it be the starter?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Solenoid on the starter motor. Giving it abit of a tap will help unstick it if you get stuck but it will need to be replaced.

Larsz

Reaction score
Country
Any tips on how to remove the starter? I know where it sits, but its a darn annoying place to work from the top..

C

Controll3d

Easiest to get starter off will be doing it from under.
Possible from top, but it's really tricky to do and takes ages. Unless you take off plenum/inlet manifold first, iirc.

Last edited: