What's new

Cold idle adjustment / removal. Is it ok to take this bit off.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I'm looking for advice on the above. I'm sick of my cold idle being 2000rpm and would quite like it to be at normal idle from cold.

In my eyes it would be better for the engine on start up, as less wear on the oil starved bearings straight from starting.

So I've been looking today at the coolant fed cold start valve. See pic 1 and 2

Im pointing to the adjustment screw for the valve, and my thinking is to just remove the screw so that there is no pressure on the spring which brings the idle up at cold.

Or remove the shiny circular cylinder, to the above left on pic two, as this is what the valve linkage pushes up against.

My question is there anybody that knows if this is NOT a good idea? And if so why?

Thanks
sam

Reaction score
Just undo the 8mm nut and back the screw off, Iv'e done it to mine and it drops the revs on start up to about 1200rpm

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Do you mean wind it in? Because the valve is fully "in" when cold, and when hot is fully "out". So therefore with the screw is out / backed off the spring will pull the adjuster to the top position.

Sorry if I've worded that confusingly :) lol

Reaction score
Yes, screw it in towards the piston so the springed curved plate that touches the accelerator link is on the lower setting. You will see 2 marks on the curved plate, aim for the one closest to the front of the car