What's new

Welding stock LSD?

Reaction score
Has anyone had their stock LSD welded up and gone drifting? I've been advised theres a chance of it breaking due to not having much cog surface to weld to, is it possible to open up to get more weld in there? I need to get this sorted ASAP as the diff is out and i'm going to Santa Pod on Saturday :wack:

Alternatively if theres an S14 diff for sale not too far from Nottingham that I can pick up tonight that would be ace/a miracle :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The S15 diff is worth quite a few quid with the half shafts.. I wouldn't weld it mate, sell it and save yourself some £££'s

Reaction score
The diff will very rarely lock up now so i figured its not worth much, if anything anyway? On the last few laps at the last DWYB it was opening up and knocking but i've been told it not just break even on a drift day.

Looks like it will be getting re-fitted tomorrow, try to drift with it then i'll buy an open or welded S14 diff unless i find another LSD for the right money. Am i right that an S14 diff will drop straight into the S15 case and all work as it should?

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
im not 100 percent detain dude but i think you have to fit s14 drive shafts and half shafts to fit s14 diff, as s15 has 30 splines on half shafts ans s14 has 29. i think.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure either but I think you just need the half shafts that come out of the diff.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
i think the s14 uses 5 bolt half shafts an s15 has 6 arranged in 3 x 2

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of trouble to try and not buy an new LSD :wack: Did the Spec S come with an open diff that would fit straight in? Failing that i'm going to have to be bored with my open LSD until i save up enough :down:

BTW my ruined diff will be getting bolted back in very shortly, not welded or anything. Just hope its still possible to have fun tomorrow

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeag, the 15 does use 6 bolts on the half to drive shafts.

The Spec S has a VLSD. Is it possible to shim the 15 diff to tighten it up again?

Reaction score
Do the earlier S-Bodies not use the same 2x3 bolts onto the driveshafts? I've watched this video a few times and it looks the same to me, on a '240sx' S14 going by the title http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnY2jf2-84U

The chap who's been doing the spannering (grass tracker for many years) said he could pass it on to someone who knew a lot more about diffs, not knowing anything about prices etc. and i've not enquired so maybe i should? I think i've got my mind set on either a welder or a new Kaaz though.

From the panic research i've been doing lately i read only the ADM Spec S came with an LSD and the JDM came with an open diff

Its all back together now and back home :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The ADM Spec S is pretty much the same as a Spec R as they were both turbocharged.. The JDM Spec S obviously isn't but I was fairly sure it came with the VLSD..?

If I was you, I'd ask JameS15 very nicely if he will p/x diffs with you as he's selling up and has a 2 way with a shorter final drive IIRC ;)

Reaction score
Ah right, never knew that! I could be wrong about the open diff, i read it doing some speed research lol

I'll send him a PM probs on Sunday, its worth a shot :)

Thanks for all your help and input mate :cool:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Both the ADM spec S and R's were a JDM spec R. The only difference over here between the two was the exterior bodykit and sunroof.