What's new

Cold start valve and CAS (99 Spec R)

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Hiya

Still trying to get to the bottom of my non start so just need two quick answers for stuff that I will be trying next weekend when I can get back up to leicester to work on the car...

First up, Where is this cold start valve ive been reading about?

Secondly, need a part number for the CAS if any has it readily to hand?

I will be looking at the imobiliser aswell but wanna get a new CAS unit ready just in case aswell as remove the cold start valve and give it a good clean.

Thanks in advance chaps

J.

Reaction score
Country
be very careful if you decide to remove the CAS. i removed mine out of curiosity and was a nightmare to get lined up properly for the timing without taking the rocker cover off! lol.

is the part number for the CAS not stamped into it? i cant actually remember from when i removed mine.. :/

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Do you have an alarm Justin? As it really seems like its an immobiliser issue. Over night not much else can fail.

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Hiya,

The CAS probably does have a part number on it, however, my car is stuck in Leicestershire and I live in Dorset :) lol. Its kinda like a last resort and will only be swapped out if nothing else I have planned actually gets the thing to start. Just making sure im going up there this weekend with a plenty spare parts as really need to get it running.

Im sure your right Sam, I do also think its an immobiliser / Alarm issue. I have an electrician headin up to the car this week to have a look, specifically at the immobiliser!! Will update y'all tho once he's been and had a look. Fingers crossed!!!

Other question remains, cold start valve.. Any one know where it is?

Thanks again

J.

Reaction score
Country
What exactly happens when you turn the key in the ignition to start it?
If the CAS is broken, your engine will just keep turning over but never firing, just flooding the engine with petrol. Thats what happened to mine when it wasnt lined up right/disconnected. If the engine doesnt even turn over, then its not the CAS. its before that. Like Sam said, its likely to be the immobiliser if its not turning over at all. Again, i had that swapped out too when i got the car. bloody electrics eh! haha

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Basically the engine turns over but it will not fire up... No spark across all 4 coil packs :( I will update my other thread with all the detals in a mo rather than have two going but from what you have said, could be CAS related... doesnt appear to be alarm, imobiliser from what ive heard today... which is a bugger!!!

More in other thread ....

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?10165-Wont-start-(-1999-spec-R

Reaction score
Country
Might be a given, but have you checked the main coilpack loom connector. its mounted on top of the standard manifold, and usually relocated to near the ABS unit when aftermarket manifolds are fitted. If thats melted (which i have seen) then obviously theres going to be no spark. And also, i'm assuming your spark plugs are fine, and correctly gapped? Checked/cleaned the AFM sensor?

Reaction score
Country
OH!!!! (BRAINWAVE!)

to check if you're getting any spark in the cylinders:

Pull out the first coilpack & spark plug, but keep them all connected together. rest it on top of the engine and create a little bit of darkness using a sheet or something over your bonnet. the spark plug might need resting on the plenum as this is an earth point. then get someone to turn your car over. if the plug is earthed properly on the plenum, you'l see a spark. thus, ruling out any 'spark' issues relating to the plugs/coils. :)

i've tried this, and you really can see it if the plug is in the right place. you've just got to jiggle it til its properly earthed, and obviously keep your fingers out the way :p

if it isnt sparking. then you know where to look for problems. if it is sparking, then you dont know where to look haah. but you know what to rule out. and start checking that CAS over & AFM sensor