What's new

yellow jackets V splitfire coilpacks

Reaction score
Country
Which of the above is the best as regards performance and value for money.I know about splitfires but know zero about yellow jackets as i have not got any history with these and not many on here seem to use them :confused:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'd like to know more about Yellow Jackets too...

Had a little look on Google searches today and I believe the Yellow Jackets work out around 330 AUD ~= £223 + shipping

http://www.performance-wise.com/page28.htm

Whereas the Splifire coilpacks should set one back $469 ~= £296 inc. shipping

http://www.frsport.com/Splitfire-DI...graded-Coil-Packs-S13-S14-SR20DET_p_1375.html

Having looked at this and the fact FRSport do Splitfires plus many JDM parts at such awesome prices I'm siding towards Splitfire - also due to the fact that I'm not certain whether with Yellow Jackets you actually receive a replacement ignition/power amp and new HT leads whereas I know you definitely get this as part of the Splitfire kit :)

S

STF515

Alot of the Aussie guys recommend new OEM coils, apparently they have a better spark than the aftermarkets, and support over 320RWKW. Its just everyone replaces 10-30 yr old coils with them, and is amazed at the difference. I have had Splitfires fail in my old S15. PM TAARK on nissansilvia.com, he can beat the splitfire price on brand new OEM coil packs.

Reaction score
Country
There is one other option on the coils and that's Okada Projects Direct Coil Packs, they have a specific S15 fitment but they are expensive, on FRSport they're $760.00 (£485.00)

They look pretty good spec wise and have had some real world testing as they were used on the Sierra Sierra EVO for WTAC 2011. If it's good for WTAC should be good enough for anything we can throw at them :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I have yellow jackets and the car runs well with them, they immediately cured an intermittent miss on cylinder 3 but that only shows that the stadard pack was on its way out. They seem good value but i havent had a tune with them on which would be the best way of checking thier performance i guess...

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Alot of the Aussie guys recommend new OEM coils, apparently they have a better spark than the aftermarkets, and support over 320RWKW. Its just everyone replaces 10-30 yr old coils with them, and is amazed at the difference. I have had Splitfires fail in my old S15. PM TAARK on nissansilvia.com, he can beat the splitfire price on brand new OEM coil packs.
I've also been recommended by an ex-professional drifter to just stick with Nissan OEM coilpacks... They don't come that much cheaper! Camskill do them and now that I know my ignition amp and all the loom is ok, I'll most likely replace with OEM stuff than buying aftermarket :)

Dean - good to Yellow Jackets look like a good buy!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Al - I puchased a second working ignition amp from breakers and it made no difference. Also, we checked every spark plug by pulling each one out one by one and turned the car over. It was sparking so presumed loom was ok in terms of ignition etc.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Having looked at this and the fact FRSport do Splitfires plus many JDM parts at such awesome prices I'm siding towards Splitfire - also due to the fact that I'm not certain whether with Yellow Jackets you actually receive a replacement ignition/power amp and new HT leads whereas I know you definitely get this as part of the Splitfire kit :)
S15s don't have an ignition power amp like your S14 mate :) S14 splitfires definitely come with an extra amp and loom to fit it, i had mine tucked up beside the brake servo :) Pretty sure S14 Yellow Jackets are just the coils so it's not as good a solution imo :)

For the S15 you'll only get coils no matter what from what I have seen of Splitfires/Yellow Jackets/Okada etc.

Apex Performance also do uprated coils which have been tested on the SXOC :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I only found out after I posted the above that S15's don't use ignition amps doh!!

I think I'm still going to go for Nissan replacement coilpacks - brand new from Camskill :)