What's new

S15 gearbox conversion to Z33 6 speed

Reaction score
I saw that yesterday, really tempting. I was just a bit concerned about his low post count and the fact he's in Poland

S

STF515

OK, update time, sorry for my laziness, the weather has been to good to not ride the bike :rolleyes:

I have got the gearbox sitting nicely in the tunnel, there is very little room around the tunnel support in front of the stock shifter hole, I increased this slightly by pressing the gearbox up using a jack, then removing the box again an carrying out some more masseuse work with the soft blow hammer. I also had to drill the bell housing on the z33 box where the breather comes out - the z33 comes straight up, and sits to high, so I drilled out the hole and fitted the 90 degree fitting from the S15 6 speed.

The shifter sits about 70mm further back, even with the shifter mechanism shortened as much as possible, I will upload some pics, but the centre of the shifter sits about at the back edge of the leather gear boot. I used a drill to radius the holes first, then connected the dots with a grinder. To seal the original hole, I have used a piece of 12mm silicone rubber I had lying around, its not perfect, but seals OK, and sits over the lump of the shifter mechanism/mount that sits into the stock gearshift hole.

Now to the annoying bit - after fitting the box up (for what I thought was the last time), I discovered that the input spline was not picking up on the front clutch plate (ORC twinplate remember :p ), and also the throwout bearing carrier was almost coming off snout of the gearbox when it was just resting on the clutch fingers.

NOTE *** I think this is more to do with my homemade ORC twin plate flywheel copy, and should be OK if you use either a standard HD type clutch and S13/14 flywheel, or a complete twin plate clutch kit to suit S13/14.

I have got around these issues by doing the following - the front clutch plate has been reversed, with a small amount of the rear plate splines removed (at the front) to allow the front plate to sit inside it. I will take some pictures before I install, but it will now pick up on all the spline. To fix the throwout bearing problem, I simply made a press on spacer to extend the throwout bearing toward the clutch, and silver soldered it to the original carrier.

I am now awaiting a new TOB to arrive, as the old one was damaged, and should hopefully be installing the gearbox this week. I will be taking the last of the pics then. After that, I just need to work out a gear boot, and it soulf be back to having my own car again (thank god for work cars)

Steph

Reaction score
Country
The last months I worked on a 350Z gearbox conversion on my SR20DET. My experiences with it aren´t that good because of very high noise level in form of rattle sounds under slight acceleration and also under deacceleration.We tried another Z33 transmission but same with that.
With the oem dual mass flywheel there is less rattle but still doesn´t feel very good.

Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Hi everyone sorry for bring up a old thread but i needed some help on this,

I have a Nissan Silvia S15 (200SX) been with S13 (5speed), S14 (5speed) & S15 (6speed) gearbox.
Recently i have got a chance to get either a Z33 or Z34 due to a mate have both car that going to be scrapped soon. There is a few question i have been researching but getting kind of mixed answer which i like to clear off. Before i start buying the conversion kit :)

1. Z33 or Z34 a better choice? (some saying Z34 bellhousing is shorter than Z33?)
2. Mazworx SRVQ Bellhousing after cutting the bell housing of stock. the gap inbetween can it be seal up or can i cut actually shorter off so that the gap will be closed?
3. does it need hammering of tunnel. (i read some said that mazworx adapter does not really need hammering)
4. Can i retain S15 Dual mass flywheel & clutch?
5. Is there any NVH if convert to the above mention transmission?
6. would like external slave pump just like stock s15 6 speed
7. what is with the synchro match & speedo thing as i am not quite sure on this section?

i am so sorry that i have to came to check with you as i cant get a definite answer on this part.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Hello
First real question is what is your requirement or reason for changing the gearbox? i.e. are you planning to run large power through the gearbox? do you intend to drift the car hard? Do you want to use the car on track? etc.

If you've not really got a specific requirement, do you have issues with your current gearbox or are you looking for better mpg/road use etc?

The earlier Z33/34 gearboxes have syncro issues, GD009 is the model you want but it's not entirely necessary as the other gearboxes aren't that bad.

I would assume on wanting this gearbox you must be planning to put a lot of power through it?

Reaction score
Country
Hello
First real question is what is your requirement or reason for changing the gearbox? i.e. are you planning to run large power through the gearbox? do you intend to drift the car hard? Do you want to use the car on track? etc.

If you've not really got a specific requirement, do you have issues with your current gearbox or are you looking for better mpg/road use etc?

The earlier Z33/34 gearboxes have syncro issues, GD009 is the model you want but it's not entirely necessary as the other gearboxes aren't that bad.

I would assume on wanting this gearbox you must be planning to put a lot of power through it?

Sorry for the late reply. i just want a stronger 6speed.