What's new

Turbo dying?

Reaction score
Country
Yeah... Its always my car isnt it?

So. one of my mates told me i had a blue puff come out the exhaust a few days ago, and now today we had some white smoke.
So instead of automatically going HEAD GASKET. Could it be that the turbo is weeping coolant and oil? just from wear and tear? i mean, its done over 80,000 miles, and currently running 0.9bar boost.

What do you reckon? Also, if it is the turbo, i'm not doing any more mods. so i'l be after a standard one. preferably a BB this time round (mine isnt BB i dont think)..

cheers.. :(

Reaction score
Country
Oohhh dear jase, your car just really doesn't like you does it lol! Usually when the turbo goes it will only leak oil which will give you blue smoke. White smoke is usually water. However it all depends on how much smoke?? If it is alot then it does sound like head gasket. If it is only when you just start driving it will just be condensation in your exhaust system. Just keep checking your oil and water levels and you will be able to tell from that. When a turbo is about to go it will smoke like f**k on idle and it will be blue in colour. Then I would stop driving it ASAP due to th fact of if the turbo seal goes your turbo can chew itself up and spit the bits all around your engine like it did on my friends VXR :( and then your into massive rebuild costs!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
If its heavy thick white smoke it can be oil, As Ive had it on an xtrail turbo, Toyota Rav, and Toyota starlet turbo. But you can smell the difference, if it's head gaskets white smoke iit will smell of anti freeze coming out the exhaust, and if it's oil it will be thicker and smell of it.
Neither are fun, sorry to hear problems mate!

Reaction score
Country
well in terms of if its thick or thin, or white or blue, i'm not much use as i'm colourblind :( sucks ass i know.
(no i dont just see in black and white :rolleyes:)

however, when it poofed white it was after i'd first started her up, on a cold engine for a few seconds. but it had been driven warm about an hour prior, so i wouldnt have thought condensation would have built up in that time?

cheers Jordan for the heads up on the turbo lol.. i'l keep my eyes out for smokes! :(

i cant check the levels accurately at the moment as i've got 1, possible 2 minor oil leaks :/
one is the turbo return, and the other potential is the oil sump. gonna get underneath tomorrow and have a play..
once theyre fixed, then i'l be able to check the levels more accurately :)

Reaction score
Country
Condensation builds up instantly especially in colder climates. As the cold are meets with the warm in produces vapour so it could only take half an hour or so and you could find your exhaust is quite damp! You will be able to tell if is condensation as it will clear once the exhaust is warm, usually a couple of minutes and it will stop. Unless its chuffing smoke when it's warm I wouldn't worry to much, just keep an eye on it. As said above you will be able to tell what it is by the smell :)

Reaction score
Check for thrust movement (in and out play) on the shaft assembly. The old 270 thrust bearings hate more load when they've done a fair few miles.

Reaction score
Country
cheers guys :)

I just hopped under my car to find my oil leak, and i also found what appears to be a light layer of grease on the turbo :s
grease is shown by the red arrows
Oil is shown by the blue arrow

is having grease there bad? its only a really light film, but i dont remember it being there last time i had the tubby off.. i'm gonna give it a wipe down later and see if it comes back.

And on the oil, it just looks like that gasket in there has gone. So does anyone know where i can get that stupid little gasket from, and where i can get the oil return hose from, which goes where i stuck my temporary fix:

i dont have a working copy of Nissan FAST before anyone suggests that :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Just buy some gasket paper and make one. As for the hose the best way is to just buy some silicon stuff that fits nice and tight, then as you have done with the other pipe clamp it with some jubelie clips :)

P.S that hose doesnt look to clever with the kink in it. That will reduce the flow and cause higher pressure prier to that pipe. Maybe why your gasket has failed :(

Reaction score
Country
Just buy some gasket paper and make one. As for the hose the best way is to just buy some silicon stuff that fits nice and tight, then as you have done with the other pipe clamp it with some jubelie clips :)

P.S that hose doesnt look to clever with the kink in it. That will reduce the flow and cause higher pressure prier to that pipe. Maybe why your gasket has failed :(
Gasket paper?! that sounds amazing! does halfrauds sell it? :D

I know the kink isnt ideal, however when you go to put your turbo back on, and the factory rubber pipe decides it wants to split, and you've got a 350mile drive to do... you've got to make do with what you've got! lol. its on my to do list. the kink isnt THAT bad. the pipe becomes pretty soft when it gets warm so the kink goes away.

Reaction score
That kink can cause huge problems. If the turbo can't drain off oil it's literally going to over fill the core and the oil will be forced out of the front and back of the turbo. After seeing that drain pipe, I'd say that's causing your smoking problem.

Reaction score
Country
That kink can cause huge problems. If the turbo can't drain off oil it's literally going to over fill the core and the oil will be forced out of the front and back of the turbo. After seeing that drain pipe, I'd say that's causing your smoking problem.
oh man.. i need to stop making temporary fixes. haha. i'l get it measured up tomorrow and get on the phone to SFS for a silicone hose haha.
cheers Adam :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah Jase that kink is probably not healthy dude :wack:

In terms of the small gasket for the oil return pipe you can get one from Conceptua. Go onto eBay and get their number and call Chris. He'll sort you out. Cost peanuts :)