What's new

Does anyone run 1.2 bar or 18psi on the stock T28BB

Reaction score
Country
Does anyone run 1.2 bar or 18psi on the stock T28BB?

Some people say yes others say no, just after some experences. So before i get told to use the search button ya lazy arse, yes i already read this thread and others on other sites http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?3165-Max-boost&highlight=T28BB+boost

Asking as i wound like to know if anyone did this and it shat the stock ceramic exhaust wheel?
maybe not straight away but a little bit after that.

Currently mine only runs to 1bar (14psi) which i thought was about all you could push on a day after day basis from ceramic exhaust wheel turbos on silvia & skylines before they poo the wheel out the back.
I know 1.2 bar is the quick way to 220rwkw, but i just want to know if the stock one is going to do it or just give up after a short while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can say that I ran 18psi through my stock turbo for 4 years. That was as far as I would go and that was with a very good tune. I put out 209 RWKW and had no issues. I dropped it to 16psi on the race track.

I changed it to a 2871R only because I was getting a small amount of oil going past the rear exhaust seal.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
My previous S15 was mapped to 1.2 bar... no issues at all :)

Did Nurburgring (10 laps/130+ miles in one day), various track days, drift days... never had any turbo issues.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I ran it up there as well and it was still going strong the day it was removed so I could do some turbo testing. BTW the wheels aren't ceramic it's whatever steel alloy Garrett uses.

You can run anything up to any boost as long as your tuner knows what he's doing and you'll find that the turbo will boost up to 18psi in the midrange but will get choked up top, dropping to around 14psi. So your top end power will be around the same, but your midrange will be much meatier.

I also turn down the boost at the racetrack to be safe, a few squirts on the street is not the same as full throttle sessions on the track.

Reaction score
Country
I ran it up there as well and it was still going strong the day it was removed so I could do some turbo testing. BTW the wheels aren't ceramic it's whatever steel alloy Garrett uses.

You can run anything up to any boost as long as your tuner knows what he's doing and you'll find that the turbo will boost up to 18psi in the midrange but will get choked up top, dropping to around 14psi. So your top end power will be around the same, but your midrange will be much meatier.

I also turn down the boost at the racetrack to be safe, a few squirts on the street is not the same as full throttle sessions on the track.
Really... might have too look into that, last time i had the turbo off i looked and felt like ceramic. The old skyline (RB25DET) did its wheel on 14 - 18 psi, & a mate with a 20DET blew about 3 of them but he is rather a animal of a driver

Reaction score
The 2560r never came with a ceramic wheel. When I say, "you'd know about it" if you had a ceramic wheel when you blew your turbo with a ceramic wheel is an understatement. They literally explode and destroy everything inside the exhaust side. I've had countless Skyline turbo's and even more Toyota turbo's with owners hoping for a cheap fix.

Rollerbearings run steel wheels, so no worry of exploding/fatigued wheels unless they're over spun from a jammed waste gate. They will be affected by boost increases but less than a journal bearing turbo due to the lack of thrust bearing.

Reaction score
Country
The 2560r never came with a ceramic wheel. When I say, "you'd know about it" if you had a ceramic wheel when you blew your turbo with a ceramic wheel is an understatement. They literally explode and destroy everything inside the exhaust side. I've had countless Skyline turbo's and even more Toyota turbo's with owners hoping for a cheap fix.

Rollerbearings run steel wheels, so no worry of exploding/fatigued wheels unless they're over spun from a jammed waste gate. They will be affected by boost increases but less than a journal bearing turbo due to the lack of thrust bearing.
this whole time i thought the freaking thing was ceramic, so is it a bit of steel that just looks like its a ceramic one due to the exhaust and temps or something or is it just the type of steel??

S

s15gt

would that indicate that your tune is very lean?
sounds like really high egt.

Consider that at 18psi the stock turbo will be pumping out quite hot air, so find ways to cool it.
Maybe water injection or better yet e85 230rwkws is possible on that stuff :D

Reaction score
Country
one day when i get around to the whole ecu and injector upgrade thing, got to do the 3.8v6 swap on the hilux first :) i was going to run a water/meth just too help out with a few more kw and the whole temp control thing, but i do have feed lines that flow twice as much coolent and will put a oil cooler in sometime. but its all about the money and the time

Reaction score
The colour of your exhaust wheel depends on the fuel mixture. You don't want it coated in sooty carbon as it'll mean you're overfuelling. This was the colour of the exhaust side on my old old gt3071r when I removed it.

Oh, and ceramic wheels are blue by the way, they just get coated in carbon build up over thousands of miles.