What's new

S15 6 speed oil capacity?

Reaction score
Country
Okay so I read you can overfill them to 2.3ltrs? Can hold 2lrts using the nomal fill hole..

Today I filled it up through the gear stick hole and I almost went through 3 Redline MT90 bottles (0.946ltrs each)

It didnt reach its capacity I just stopped as I had vissions of gearbox oil seeping out of the trim as I had no idea where it was going :confused:

Theres some left in my last bottle but id say atm theres about 2.6 - 2.7 ltrs in there :rotfl:

Anyone else done this? What did you do? Did you reach a point where no more would drain down into the hole or just stop youself?

I take it boxes aernt like engines and it doesnt matter if you overfil them by a lot? Box does feel better now tbh!

Thoughts?

Reaction score
I'd also like to know this!

Recently put two Redline bottles worth of oil in and just bought my third to overfill it tomorrow.

I've seen on this forum that people say to overfill it to 2.0 litres, but on some aussie forums they say around 2.4 litres i think? :/

Reaction score
I'm sure I put 3L of oil in when I fitted the last box, I can't remember exactly though. I did however fill it through the gaiter aswell.

S

s15gt

3L thats amazing!

very good question i wonder how the box handles all this extra oil.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
From the service manual:

Oil capacity:
FS6R92A 1.8 liters (3-7/8 US pt, 3-1/8 Imp pt)

I was always told 2L was enough to make the gearbox just that little bit nicer. I would think that anything over about 2.2L would be way too much.

Reaction score
Country
Ive filled my 6speed manual gearbox to the point of overfilling. it took 2.5L. its shifts much smoother than when it had 2L in there.

Reaction score
Country
Yeh exactly 2.0 may be 'enough' but the whole point in the term 'overfilling' is to overfill lol

It does make the shift better and makes it feel more solid!

I dont think its like engines where too much oil is a bad thing, the boxes love it!

Reaction score
Country
I put two and a three quaters of Redline in mine and i havnt had any issues. Much better with the extra oil! cant see it hurting as like you say gearboxes dont have the issues that engines have with overfilling them. I wouldnt worry about it. Mine seems fine :)

Reaction score
You don't fill the gearbox up to the brim until it won't take anymore. You fill it up so that oil starts coming out of the fill-plug on the side of the box - which indicates it's full.

Reaction score
Country
if you overfill your gearbox you risk high oil pressure which just like the engine can cause the front and rear seals to leak, not good if its the front seal and it goes all over your clutch, although this is less common on gearboxes then engines, but the reason they have a fill plug at a certain height is to ensure you dont overfill the box, a extra 200ml probably wont hurt and may improve shift smoothness. Its better to just run high quality oil and fill it to the correct level. If you really want to improve you gearbox shift feel, get better gearbox & engine mounts. Do you overfill your cars engine? if so have you noticed oil leaks after doing this?

This clip will give you a idea of how much difference good oil will make compared to low quality oil, this is not SR gearbox oil however it will show the principal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZS1t7Y3po