What's new

Removing gear stick

Reaction score
Country
Just wanted to check a few things.

Ive read Nicelys guide

http://www.jull.co.uk/s15-tech-guides/fitting-a-cs-short-shifter

I want to remove the stick to fill the box up with oil so need to make sure all the parts go back together etc...from the photos it looks like theres all sorts of like washers and boots..do you just remove all the plastic, remove outer boot and lift the boot under that up with the metal bit...then is it just a case of pulling the shifter out? and you can fill it up then?

Its just on a different thread I was reading it says to remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter mechanism to the box?

Also do you need a new circlip at any point? Or a circlip tool?

Any advice would be great :thumbs:

U

udi

The guide is fairly accurate, there will be one seal that you need to cut away to remove the shifter - which I believe the guide explains - but it poses no issues down the track (as there are multiple other seals above it). You don't need to remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter mechanism to the box (possibly only required for actually installing the short shifter kit). You will have to cut a few cable ties and replace them on reassembly.

It is all fairly straightforward, there is one circlip that needs to be removed to lift the shifter out - some small/thin needle nose pliers did the trick for me. You do not need a new clip, you can reinstall the old one. Just take your time and don't scratch/damage any spherical/rotational surfaces - it can be a little finicky, but nothing too complex.

I'd suggest sticking with 75w90 GL-4 fluid as per the service manual (Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG are both appropriate). Increasing from the factory 1.8 to a 2.0L fill worked well for me.

Reaction score
Country
Dont worry guys already spent days researching gear oil..already got 3 quarts of MT-90 in the post :thumbs:

Hope it makes shifting from 1st - 2nd less notchy!

Reaction score
Country
i've got a problem with my reverse. its a right pain in the ass to change into sometimes. but new gear oil, plus overfilling makes the gearbox feels SO much smoother. it really does! :)