What's new

Oil Sump issues?

Reaction score
Country
Ok so ive got a slight oil leak which has just started. well, actually i've got two. ones on the bottom pipe on the turbo but that should be a simple fix. the other is 'i think' the oil sump..

If i were to drain the oil, and unbolt the sump, is anything going to fall out and be a pain in the arse to put back on? ie- any engine parts/bolts or anything at all (other than oil obviously).

Also, assuming the leak is the result of a gasket, where can i get an oil sump gasket from!?

its not a 'pouring' leak. but its a '~15cm overnight puddle' leak..

thanks again... :)

J

jadlea

apart from the oil nothing will fall out , dont think the crank is going to hit you on the head mate.

J

jadlea

no it wont affect the timing or anything but the sump is usually attached to the motor with sealant not a gasket. i would reccomend that once you pull the sump plug to let it drain for a while before attempting to undo the sump bolts as it will still be half full of oil. also the metal is soft around that area so be careful when trying to pry it away from the motor and dont go jamming a screw driver in there otherwise you will damage it and continue to have leaks. probably give it a good clean out and remove the old sealant from the motor before applying new stuff :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
no it wont affect the timing or anything but the sump is usually attached to the motor with sealant not a gasket. i would reccomend that once you pull the sump plug to let it drain for a while before attempting to undo the sump bolts as it will still be half full of oil. also the metal is soft around that area so be careful when trying to pry it away from the motor and dont go jamming a screw driver in there otherwise you will damage it and continue to have leaks. probably give it a good clean out and remove the old sealant from the motor before applying new stuff :thumbs:
cheers mate! good little "how-to" there! :)
thanks!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Your best bet would be to run a Stanley blade around the seal once all the bolts are out, then it should pop off ok :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Not used that one but most people really rate the standard Nissan sealant, or so I read. In the past I have used rtv for those jobs...

Reaction score
Country
I dont think its my sump thats got a leak. It looks like it could just be dribble from my turbo leak, not 100% sure yet, will have to fix the turbo leak first to see.
heres some photos:

You can see the oil going to the right more towards the rear of the engine -->

Also, is this worth worrying about? its only a tiny bit round the seal, checked the filter and it seems tight enough..

cheers