What's new

HELP!! gear box and diff oil

J

john

sorry another question about oil lads!when was out with my mechanic he asked me about the gearbox oil and im just wondering if anyone knows the best gear box oil for an s15?? i think its the same oil for the gearbox and diff but just want to be sure!! if anybody could help me id appriciate it..cheers!!

Reaction score
Country
i've got Redline MT90 in my gearbox, and Fuchs titan race syn S in the diff. but like spoonman said, check that link :)

Reaction score
Country
haha dont know why i thought they were!! cheers bud il check that out :)
in a car thats NOT a LSD equipped one and if you didnt give a toss about it, then using the same oil in the gearbox and the diff would be fine, which is why some mechanics will tell you that. But then you probably would not change the oils in that sort of car anyway.

U

udi

Redline MT-90 (GL4) in Gearbox, Redline 75w90 Gear Oil (GL5, not NS for our Helical LSD's) in Diff.

Both are 75w90, but the GL4 has less extreme-pressure additives and has controlled friction levels - as excess EP additives can be harmful to synchros, and excess slipperiness can hinder shifting performance. The GL5 fluid is required in the diff as it provides better lubrication and wear control, and we don't have synchros to worry about here.

I'm running the above combo and I am happy with it. There are other products that will work also but it's worth making sure the factory requirements are met. For the record, I believe the manual recommends GL4 75w90 for gearbox, and GL5 75w90 for diff - hence my suggestions.