What's new

New guy from manchester england

W

Wardy01

I have always loved JDM cars. Have wanted one for so long.

But I'm yet to own one of these perfect machines. I currently drive a vauxhall corsa 1.8 Sri. Its a pile of rubbish haha, when i got it was the biggest petrol engined car i could afford to insure. But after 2 years of owning it, i was so bored of it it was off the road for a couple of months with no tax insurance or MOT. When i did this i found out that someone used the car and when i arrived home the car so gone and i thought it had been impounded, but i really didn't care that my car was gone. It was at this point I decided it was time to start looking for new cars.

Looked at vauxhall VXRs, mk1 focus RS but they just didn't do it for me.

So looked at skyline r32/33, supra twin turbos and RX7s. As expected there was no way i could afford to insure one. Then i remembered about the s14 and that brought me to the s15.

To my surprise i can afford to insure this car and because of how little i actually use my own car due to having a company van, the running costs are not a problem. Its a fun car.

So I've joined here to get to know a few of you guys and learn about the car while I'm saving. Being on here will also give me the motivation to save the money needed.

When i have the money I'll be looking for a 1999ish spec R with the SR20DET motor :p

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Welcome. It takes a while to find the right one, if you do your research, it will be a car you enjoy for years to come. :)

W

Wardy01

Welcome. It takes a while to find the right one, if you do your research, it will be a car you enjoy for years to come. :)

The research is part of the reason i joined. Not really too bothered about mpg at the minute.
The only costs I'm interested in is repair costs and the cost of tuning the motors. I figured that the more i look around this forum and other sites the more of an understanding of the costs ill get.

it will take me some time to get the money together so by them i should have a decent knowledge of what to look for and what to expect.

only colour I'm not really interested in is silver.

how much power can the stock internals and turbo of the engine produce without loosing much reliability?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
The engine is quite strong and can take a significant amount of power with the correct mods. It depends a if you want to open the engine up or not. Unfortunately the biggest power limiting factor of the car is the gearbox. There are alternatives to this (good and bad) but it depends on how much power / torque you are happy with. With basic mods and a tune (without changing the gearbox or opening up the engine) 200rwkw is starting to get to the limit, but in a car that weighs about 1300kg, it definately puts a smile on your face everytime you drive it. :D

Oh yes, and blue is by far the best colour! :p

W

Wardy01

I'm used to talking in bhp haha. But if I've got your units correct thats about 270bhp at the rear wheels?
im also used to talking about power at the flywheel but using a transmission loss of 15% (don't know if this is the correct loss for rwd) thats about 320bhp?

coming from a 128bhp vauxhall standard power to a standard power of 253bhp will be a fun challenge so won't go into tuning the motor straight away. Will be my first rwd car so don't want to do anything stupid with it haha.

please correct any of my figures if i have got them wrong.

only looked at black and white really. seen a couple of red ones too. but I'm just window shopping for now while i save up.

thanks for your reply

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah I think those figures are about right. The rough estimate for transmission losses is about 20%-25%.

To be honest, there is no point in quoting flywheel hp. It's the power at the wheels that counts.

W

Wardy01

yeah I think those figures are about right. The rough estimate for transmission losses is about 20%-25%.

To be honest, there is no point in quoting flywheel hp. It's the power at the wheels that counts.
yeah i know flywheel hp to me is guess work in my opinion due to transmission losses. Was just asking cause I'm used to working in those figures so gives me
a better understanding about the power output if you get what i mean?

just found out today that work want me to sit an exam and if i pass i get a £3-4000 pay rise, so if i pass will treat myself to an s15 so might have one earlier than expected.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
very cool. hope you do well and buy the car you want. :)

Reaction score
Country
Howdy! good luck finding one! and dont diss the grey ones! :p they grown on you, trust me :p

oh, and once you get one. you'l feel like a child on christmas day :)