What's new

Hello to everyone!

P

Project_unknown

Hi there,

I have been reading a lot on this forum and finally decided to introduce myself. First of all I DON'T own a S15... YET... this might all change on short term.

What are my plans? Currently I am looking for a S15 which will be build as a track car and for a sunday drive. I have been doing some research but still haven't decided what to do. I keep my option open and would like to hear your experience and listen to your advise.

Why the S15 for track use? I have been looking in to the usual track cars: Skylines & EVO's. But I want something which you don't see often.... easy choice: S15!

Engine swap? Yeah I was actually thinking of doing a RB26DET swap, but still open for suggestions. In case of a RB26DET swap, would it be wise to get a Spec S?

The differences between the Spec R and Spec S are still a little bit fuzzy on the internet. What I have found are the following differences:
- SR20DET (Spec R) and SR20DE (Spec S)
- 6-Speed (Spec R) and 5-speed (Spec R)
- Strutbracing and swaybars (Spec R) and Spec S non --> Correct?
- LSD (Spec R) and Spec S non --> Correct?
- Exterior differences?

I don't really care about the exterior differences most of all I would like to diffrences in the chassis, body bracing, suspension?

Anyone on this forum already done a RB26DET swap?

Suspension upgrade: I was having a look at the HKS Hipermax 3 Racing or Super Racing or TEIN Mono Flex or Super Racing. Other suggestions?

Most of all intrested in brake system upgrades: What do you guys prefer? (keep in mind a possible RB26DET swap and heavy duty track use) I have always been a big fan op StopTech brakesystems and I actually was thinking of a StopTech R33GTR BBK. Would like to hear your opinion....

Exhaust systems: I have to keep in my the track regulations in this matter. The exhaust can't be too loud, actually it should be quiet. And it should still deliver it's performance. HKS Silent Hi-Power, 5Zigen Pro A-Spec?

Well looking forward to exchange knowledge and hope this will result in an excellent track car!

Last edited:
P

Project_unknown

No welcome for me on this forum? :(

Somebody who would like to help me out or has a S15 for sale?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
of course there is a wecome on this forum for you...

welcome :wave:

As for a car, have a look in the for sale section. There are a number of good cars in there for sale atm. You may even want to look at a Spec S seeing as though you are doing the conversion. You are correct on the differences between the spec S and R.

There are a few ongoing conversions on here. Bodyworxs and evilchap are in the process of it. If you have a little look around, you will find their threads.

Brake upgrades come down to how much money you have. If you are looking for the ultimate, check out AP racing calipers with 330mm discs. Another search will yield the answers you seek.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Welcome mate!! sounds like you have some nice ideas ?

Just have a brows through the forum every question has been answered lol

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
welcome mate. if you are going to do an engine swap then the spec s is the sensible way to go, but bear in mind that the sr20det is a good engine....light and easily capable of a reliable 350bhp. i have been toying with the idea of an engine conversion for some time now (v8) but the chassis is so well balanced with the sr that up to now nothings ever convinced me 100% to do it other than the 'different' factor. there is a guy already that has been in the process of installing an rb26det for the past couple of years and has run into problem after problem sadly....it all depends what you really want. if it was me and the car was intended for track i'd stick with the sr and change the gearbox for either the 300zx z32 5spd or the skyline rb25 5spd and look at different diffs to get a good balance of acceleration, grip and top end - this combination has been tested to death by drifters and seems to be a mainstay in the scene - so the combination should hold up well to general track abuse :)

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Welcome to the club :wave:

As above there are a number of different project threads on here. Evilchap is running an RB30 :notworthy: but has had nothing but trouble with it. Carpo & Bodyworxs are both running an RB26 :thumbs:

There are a number of other alternatives with threads on sxoc; Japspeed are running a VH45DETT :D but that is apparently a mammoth task, Driftworks have a 2JZ build & there are various LS1 conversions around too....

If you're planning a transplant both S15 versions make sense; the Spec S's are cheaper to buy but there is very little money in selling the bits you don't need, the Spec R's are more expensive but the difference can be made back by selling the various parts as the engine, turbo (which are more powerful than the S14a equivalent) etc will have a buyers market.

The main differences between the 2 are as follows;
Spec R
SR20DET Engine, turbo & ancillaries (250bhp) - These can all be sold to make up some of the difference in price
6 speed MT or 4 speed auto
Helical Diff
4 pot front calipers & different Brake master cylinder
Additional chassis bracing & possibly thicker anti roll bars (not sure on ARB's)

Spec S
SR20DE Engine (165bhp) - no real market for it
5 speed MT or 4 speed auto
Viscous Diff
Smaller fuel injectors & fuel pump
Smaller front calipers & different Brake master cylinder
None of the Spec R chassis bracing

I'd be inclined to stick with an SR but if you're intent on the RB26 route get the brakes from an R34 GTR - RaysTang has that set up on his :thumbs:

Edit; Some links

Evilchap - RB30
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=370190&highlight=evilchap

Bodyworkx - RB26
http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?6368-RB26DET-powered-S15-(bodyworxs-projects)

Japspeed - VH45DETT
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=453681&highlight=japspeed

Driftworks - 2JZ GTE
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=269904

S15 info
http://nissans15.com/misc.htm
http://nissans15.com/spec.htm

The internet is ridiculously slow in work, I’ll get some of the SXOC links at the weekend :thumbs:

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
^^that says it all :)

and i stand corrected, yep evilchaps is rb30.....

P

Project_unknown

Great guys! And thanks for the welcome.

This information is very useful. One the things that is very important to me is the chassis of the S15. As far as I can read now the only differences are the strutbraces and swaybar.
So the rest of the chassis is still the same? No reinforced A/B/C pillars or something?

BTW...the Helical diff is this the same one as been used on the R33? (I heard/read something about this.... I think :) )

I already thought of selling the bits and pieces if I decide to take the Spec R, thanks for the info. What would it be worth? Just an estimated I know it depends on the condition etc.
- SR20DET including turbo:
- 6 speed gearbox:
- 4 pot brakesystem:

I actually did look into the V8-conversion. With a V8 you have more NA horsepower and torque, so it would be possible to have a more reliable race-engine. But this conversion will cost me too much actually. I think this will cost me at least €8000. Anyone else knows more about this?

Let's say I will keep the SR20DET. What setup would you guys advise to have a reliable engine, capable of handling 350-400hp savely? Estimated cost?
I know it also depends on the mechanics, but I got that covered :)

Again thanks for your help and advise. Appreciate it!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Great guys! And thanks for the welcome.

This information is very useful. One the things that is very important to me is the chassis of the S15. As far as I can read now the only differences are the strutbraces and swaybar.
So the rest of the chassis is still the same? No reinforced A/B/C pillars or something?

BTW...the Helical diff is this the same one as been used on the R33? (I heard/read something about this.... I think :) )

I already thought of selling the bits and pieces if I decide to take the Spec R, thanks for the info. What would it be worth? Just an estimated I know it depends on the condition etc.
- SR20DET including turbo:
- 6 speed gearbox:
- 4 pot brakesystem:

I actually did look into the V8-conversion. With a V8 you have more NA horsepower and torque, so it would be possible to have a more reliable race-engine. But this conversion will cost me too much actually. I think this will cost me at least €8000. Anyone else knows more about this?

Let's say I will keep the SR20DET. What setup would you guys advise to have a reliable engine, capable of handling 350-400hp savely? Estimated cost?
I know it also depends on the mechanics, but I got that covered :)

Again thanks for your help and advise. Appreciate it!

Hi and welcome :)

I'd guess your standard 4-pot calipers are worth £60-£80 and the 6-speed box £400-£600 depending on the condition, milage and how quickly you want to sell it.

As for your 350-400bhp question.. do you mean from a SR20? If so it is easily achievable but gearbox weaknesses will probably show before too long.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
There is a lot more to the chassis bracing than the ARB's (if they are actually different)! The Spec S is basically a S14a chassis but the R has three braces in the boot, two under the rear bench seat, one under each of the front seats, one in the roof, one on each of the four suspension struts and thats just off the top of my head, there may even be some more...

P

Project_unknown

@ craig8585: Indeed 350-400hp on SR20DET. What would a SR20DET be worth with let's say 60k-80k on it, in a regular condition?

@ Trial_S15: Thanks this was is the answer I was looking for :) I couldn't find this on the internet. I already suspected that the chassis would be reinforced, but I couldn't find it anywhere. So it will be definitely a Spec R for me.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
bear in mind mate that if you intend to track the car and fit a cage, none of the standard bracing will make the slightest difference......a cage will ad more rigidity than the additional bracing fitted to the spec r. the suspension top reinfocement is nothing more than a metal ring so any strut brace would do a better job too.

P

Project_unknown

bear in mind mate that if you intend to track the car and fit a cage, none of the standard bracing will make the slightest difference......a cage will ad more rigidity than the additional bracing fitted to the spec r. the suspension top reinfocement is nothing more than a metal ring so any strut brace would do a better job too.
Your totally right mate! I actually did take a look at the CUSCO 6 or 7 point cage, no drilling or sawing required with these cages (not 100% sure). But a good point has been made by Trial_S15, it would be a good idea if I could sell the Spec R parts.

And using the SR20DET is still an option which I consider. But it still needs to be a reliable engine and should be capable to handle at least 350-400hp safely. Than again a RB26DET can easily handle 450hp and more torque.... I do think 450hp (on the rear wheels) would be the max for me for track use (tracks with more straight sectors 500hp).

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
WTTC :wave:

Sounds like an interesting project to keep an eye on.

Good luck with your build :cool:

Darren

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
And using the SR20DET is still an option which I consider. But it still needs to be a reliable engine and should be capable to handle at least 350-400hp safely.
The SR is more than capable for 350-400, there are some Irish RR results here :thumbs:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=410261

• Colm 446.6bhp 405 ft/lbs(549Nm) 180sx SR20DET
  • JP 436.3bhp 512.6Nm S14A SR20DET
  • Raytsang 415bhp 474.3Nm S15 SR20DET
  • Nick180sx 382bhp 355lb/ft 180sx SR20DET
  • Poggy 355.5bhp 430.9Nm S14A SR20DET
  • Irishpaddy 355.4bhp 433.8Nm S14A SR20DET

P

Project_unknown

And again some useful info, I am going to have a closer look at it. Very intresting.

Any good suggestions on suspension kits?

I was thinking about the TEIN Monoflex with EDFC controller. Somebody got experience with this set? Or knows something similar?