What's new

Hi everyone,

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Hello everybody, Im Mike from Somerset, UK, I'm in the market for a S15 soonish, always fancied one, loves the lines of the car, not to mention being a big fan of anything JDM, and with the exclusivity you get with the Silvia I think the S15 is for me.

Ive read most of the buying guides and FAQ on here so hopefully no noob questions! I've currently have a 2004 Evo VIII MR FQ-340, Im selling due to the car being simply to expensive to keep and run, the 6 monthly servicing is a killer.

That brings me onto my main question, most of the cars im looking at are 50,000-60,000 miles (Spec-R) Is there a thread somewhere that sets out the service schedule? Obviously with parts and servicing on the Evo being so high just wanted to make sure buying a S15 isn't going to keep me as poor as the Evo does!

Thanks again!

Mike

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. I think most people on here do the servicings themselves and tend to change the oil every 6 months or so, which costs me about £50 for Silkoline + a Nissan filter. Other bits like plugs filters and other oils/fluids are not expensive so personally I do them on a yearly basis. The servicing guide is exactly that, a guide. As long as you know what your doing you cant go wrong really. My average MPG is low 20's but can get low 30's on a long run :)

What do you think of the Evo then apart from it being expensive to run? I was going to get one myself until I found out the insurance was twice the cost of a S15! Glad I went for the S15 as I think I'd be bored of an evo by now.

:)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Overall Im very impressed with the evo, the handling is sublime and the raw power is just brutal. Its just the package that comes with it and I really wouldn't want to say if i thought the good parts out weigh the bad. Fuel is insane a 200 mile trip on the motorway 70mph off boost and i managed 20mpg, round town i get 12-15mpg! :( Two months after buying the car it needed a new clutch, a new one was pennies under a thousand pounds and a standard clutch is only rated to 6 launches or "racing starts"! I also skinned the rear tyres in 2 months after having the new clutch another 230 and that was at cost price. Im scared to drive the car to its full potential and coupled with the service every 6 months and as you mentioned the bonkers insurance its time for it to go!

Im an aircraft engineer by trade and I dont mind fettling with my cars at home mods wise but servicing I image id get done at a local garage, im sure a decent local garage could service the car without issue.(?) Im just very paranoid now as the evo has been such a money pit for me, so much so I havent had the chance to mod the car!

Ive just read that back and cant work out if i've just given my dream car and pride of joy a bad review...!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Welcome Mike!! :)

You won't regret getting an S15 (pretty much say this to every forum newbie lol)... and as my good friend Craig says above if you keep on top of the servicing then she won't let you down. I was always pining for an Impreza Version VI STi before I settled on the S15... boy am I so glad my journey took this road instead. As you say she has the wow factor and got loads of mates with Evos but there's something more unique and special about a coupe which has the fun of RWD and decent performance from stock to enjoy for many years :D

Yes the Supras, Evos and Liners can all boast much more bhp potential with their bigger blocks but you've hit the nail on the head... the SR on these S-bodies just seem to cost way less to run that those other bigger brothers. And again like Craig I would have got bored of the 'point-and-shoot' driving style which comes with 4WD. If you're interested in drifting and having real fun then the S15 is deffo your weapon of choice.

I oil service mine every 3/4k only because I do a fair bit of streeto, DWYB and track sessions regularly. Engine's never missed a beat (touch wood!!)... and she's just been remapped and Steve my mapper said she's running sweet - fuelling fine, healthy performance etc :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It seems there are a few aircraft engineers on here. I am one myself. If you can work on an aircraft, working on an S15 should be no problem. I do all my on maintenance myself unless I need a specific tool that I don't have.

The car itself is very good from standard and with just a few mods, it can be a different car that will definitely bring a smile to your face every time you drive it. As for fuel economy, mine is crap but that is because I only do short distances. When I do get it on a long trip, I get about 9L/100km (approx 30MPG).

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I work on mainly wide body stuff. 747-400, 767, A330. It's not so much keeping it quite, it's just not a big deal. Been doing it for way to long.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Cool, what aircraft do you work on?
Sorry about the late reply guys, Done all my aircraft work on heliflopters, currently work on Royal Navy EH101's (Merlins) we're re wiring them, spent most of the past two years on new build wiring up VVIP and search and rescue EH101's for various countries Algeria, Saudi, Denmark ect before that was in costumer service dept which dealt with in service aircraft so worked on stuff like Mk 7 Sea Kings, Mk 9 Lynx, Apache, Chinooks and RAF EH101's. The RAF aircraft had come back from Iraq, never seen anything in such a state. As Meddler said been doing it too long! Used to enjoy it, but our management seems to be able to crush our moral so much you wanna string yourself up from the tail rotor by wednesday morning!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You sure we don't have the same management?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
You sure we don't have the same management?
Hah! Yeah maybe, I believe its a world wide managerial standard that you have to be clueless, unapproachable and truly think that the reason an aircraft is 3 months late is because you had 3 minutes extra break on Thursday afternoon! :thumbs:

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
god damn... they are the same!!!

p.s. and they have to run around sprouting phrases like Lost time injury, for us to move forward, stakeholders, etc...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Humm, I'm guessing you work for AugustaWestland then Mike?! I went down to them in Yeovil a few months ago for a course :)

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Humm, I'm guessing you work for AugustaWestland then Mike?! I went down to them in Yeovil a few months ago for a course :)
Good guess bud! Yeovil born and bred(I'm afraid) what course you on?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Did a Puma mech course with Al Palmer if you know him?!

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Hi, guys im dragging this thread up again to say hi once more! After i sold the Evo a 2001 DC5 turned up locally and being a honda nut i opted for that instead of a S15, in the long run i think this has been beneficial and i now know i want a S15 again, the DC5 is a fantastic car, but i need boost and rwd drive in my life once more so rough plan is to enjoy the teg and its mods for summer and start looking for a S15. Also learnt some of joys of owning 10 year old motors!!

Anyway been speaking to Mike from Torque gt about finding a mint very low milage aero already so fingers crossed!

Ps dont know Al Palmer Craig, sorry about the longest delay in response ever to by the way!