What's new

a Newb to be ^-^

I

iRyukei

Heyy guys,
ive been on this forum a numerous amount of time when im in a class ment to be doing my work ;D
im a student...but i was wondering, how old was some of you when you were thinking about buying a Silvia and How much your insurances are if your allowed to discuss something like that, just so i can get a rough idea of like the $$ ill need :rolleyes:

and was the Silvia your first car, im stuck of what to do :) i can get my license soon so i was thinkin to get a small hatchback something like a Citroen saxo and then get my no claims up and get a Jap car :cool:
Or is it possible to just get a Silvia with a low insurance cost, it'd be nice to know your thought please :notworthy:
Thanks in advance,
iRyukei. ;)

Jay

Reaction score
im guessing at the mo you are under 18? at your age, with no experience and a new licence.... you would simply not get insurance at all. even if you could, i would suggest it would be £5k to £8k per year for a turbo spec r. it would be less for a non turbo spec s of course, but my understanding is that insurance companys do not like insuring imported cars for anyone under 21. i would love to be proved wrong coz the insurance companys are imo robbing gits!!

i would suggest a smaller car to start your no-claims building (but please not a paxo) and wait that year or two.

i have a spec r and this is my 3rd or 4th high powered car depending upon your definition, yet at 39yrs old with full no claims, i still pay £500 per year in insurance....

I

iRyukei

Yeahh im just turning 16 this year, and ive been driving my mothers car like at the car park where she works and that...but ive not had any proper lessons.
and so i'll need to wait till 21, damn thats harsh :rolleyes:
Ahaa yeahh the insurance companies now-a-days, my mother drives a MGZR and she pays a bomb for that and its 1.6L :O.
If i am to get a car then when im 17, ive been hearing rumors you can drive at 17 now, what would you recommend, i did have my eyes set on a Saxo :(
And what do you think the insurance would be at 21, if i bought a S15 that has already been imported, baring in mind i would be looking for a stock, so i can start my own project from scratch :) preferably a spec R tho ;)

Sorry for all the silly questions, but this seems to have well experianced S15 owners and friendly too :D
Thanks for replying,
and thanks in advance,
iRyukei

Last edited:

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
I passed my test when i was 17 too and that was a few years ago, had a metro that was on my parents insurance and then i got a no frills Clio (1.5 Diesel) for work. Insurance company's wanted £1500 just for the first yr cause i had no ncb and only a yr on my licence. Brought a pickup after that and now in the last month i got my s15 ( i think it was too much "initial D" & "the fast & the furious" that got me back into wanting an jap car again).

Anyway another problem you'll have is that all insurance companys put an addition primiem on drivers under 25 as they are deemed more risky (only problem caused by boy racers imo)

not sure if i got a good deal but considering i've never driven a proper turbo car before and although im 26 and 7yrs ncb my insurance was still £800 for the s15 (pickup used to be £950 lol and was a beast of a ride, 0-60 in 2 days and that was a 2.5TD).

If ur gonna get a car at 17 anything under 1.4 should be fine but dont be supprised if you have to get an 1.2. Tescos were pretty cheep when i got my clio (only company not giving me silly numbers) but i don't know if thats the case now.

I

iRyukei

Well, saxo that i want is 1.6VTR...guess thats out of my dreaming eyes :p
and How do you get your no claims bonus, like could it work if i just drive for 2 years in a 1.4 corsa or something, i might be able to be insured for something liek that, and yeahh 'FnF' and 'Wangan' ;D im a fanatic of japan so yeahh i do dream about having a silvia at first i wanted a Rex :p
so, i guess the plan will have to be 21+ till i buy a silvia, and would driving a turbo car change how the insurance would go up if i started modding the car, would it be different if i had a none turbo car and was modding that.
Ill have to start looking into different insurance companies, i guess i could always get put on my mothers insurance if i get a car that should lower the cost?
Thanks for your replies, i am really gratefull that you can clear these things up so i dont run into trouble in the future :D
Thanks in advance also :)

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
getting no claims is fairly easy, just don't have an accident or make a claim (lol easier said then done but its normally a fault claim that forfeits ur bonues). Insuance has to be in ur name for the car to earn an NCB so using your mom may save money in the short time but it would cost maybe more the following yr when u get it in your name. I believe 1 company does 2nd named driver no claims bonuses but these are pretty rare.

As for mods, depending upon the insurance some companys will refuse to insure them and will void ur insurance if you fail to declare them. Most insurares will charge more depending upon the mod but im not a 100% sure really with mods since this is my first project car too but as a rule of thumb the more power or theftability (cant think of a better word) then the higher the costs. Hopefully some of the more advanced members here will be able to answer questions regarding mods and insurance.

Reaction score
Country
Im 22 and wanted an S15 since i was around 17 or something all those years ago hehe :rolleyes: Now have 4 years NCB :thumbs: but 6 points :down: I pay £800 insurance on my SpecR. Before the Silvia i had an RX8 and paid £960 with 3 points :wack: how does that work? It was a UK car and had no mods (and it was slow) lol! :)

I

iRyukei

Thanks Nickichi
i got a fair good idea of what to do now :)
Also thank you Jay & James
You've all been a big help
I love this Forum/Club :D

E

empty_inside

I've just got an S15 Spec R but before had a Saxo VTS. Great little hot hatch if you forgive its limitations in terms of comfort, safety, image, outright performance, etc :p However at 24 with 6 years' NCB and a clean licence it was still £400 for me to cover it - the 1.1 I got at 17 was a grand, so good luck with a 1600 saxo! BTW the VTS is clearly what you want - twin cam, much revvier, wider wheels, and you get an oil temp gauge! You do pay for an extra 20hp with 5 insurance groups though, don't know why. And even at group 14 the saxo doesn't count as a "performance vehicle" when it comes to insuring a Silvia, they wouldn't take it into consideration as relevant experience so I have to pay a fortune :(

I

iRyukei

Ahaaa nice one, Grats on your Silvia ;D
and yeahh, i did have a drive about, one of my mates used to pick us up n we go for a drive, its speedy when you put your foot down for a small looking car ;D
and ive seen a nice corsa SXI+ 1.2...i might go for that if i have problems with the 1.6 which i think i will have :L