What's new

Hi all

J

JONXLR8

Hi, I'm Jon from Birmingham.

I currently drive a 97' S14a which I've got up for sale and I'm hoping to get a Spec-R at some point in the future as I've had a soft spot for them for a while.

Just doing some more research on the cars and came across the post about the types of turbo in the S15:

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?1835-Mr-Nicely-S15-Chassis-No.

Which surprised me somewhat. I previously thought all S15s had roller bearing turbos. Can anyone advise if there's a noticable difference in performance between the early S15s with roller bearing and the later cars with the standard T28?

I'm hearing good things about Torque GT so will definitely be in touch with them. I haven't seen anyone mention http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/ who are popular on other forums. Has anyone had experience of buying their S15 through them? I like the fact you can actually see the official auction grading.

How does everyone get on with insurance? For my UK 200SX I generally just phone Flux & Sky now and always get some money off each year. Anyone have trouble insurance an import?

Finally, it seems that almost all imports have some modifications to them already, be it just exhuast and induction, often much more. I was hoping to pick up a near as standard car as possible. Is this a pipe dream?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi and welcome :)

I've owned S15's with both styles of turbo and TBH I doubt I would notice if they were swapped overnight! Definatly not something that would put me off buying a good one anyway mate. At the end of the day you can always change the turbo very easily if your not happy with it.

As for insurance, I used to use Admiral as it was cheap and easy but recently I've used Flux as I was prepared to pay a bit more to declare all the mods. I paid £950 last year with everything declared, 23ys old, 4yr NCB etc.. Theres loads more for information about this topic in the 'Insurance' section though.

:)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
BTW, where in Birmingham are you from? I used to live in Perry Barr many years ago but have moved to Lichfield now :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Welcome mate!! :D

The forum can still be a bit slow when it comes to the newbies section so please excuse us (myself included haha) :wack:

Well, I got mine from Torque so as always I'd vouch for their service and I don't think it's a pipe dream to look for an almost standard. You might have to wait a bit but if anything, many have only some cosmetic mods which you can always remove easily etc.

I've gone with Sky ever since I had mine and never looked back. None of my mods ever affect the premium unless it's remap or summat similar in raising performance significantly ;)

J

JONXLR8

Thanks guys.

Craig, I'm in Hall Green.

I'll be going to Devon to visit relatives soon so may give Torque a call to see if I can pop in for a chat.

Hope to check out some of your S15s at Japfest this weeked. :thumbs:

Maybe a bit cheeky of me, but if anyone's doing some track time at Japfest would they mind if I sat in as a passenger to get a feel for the car on track? I've got a helmet I'll bring with me. And if wanted I've got a professional camera mount (Manfroto sucker type can be stuck on inside of car on windows) and HD video capability if anyone wants footage from inside the car?

Reaction score
Country
Hi there and WTTC :wave:.

I dont think you would be paying much more insurance for an S15 over an S14. Mine costs me £460 a year with NCP + legal cover + all mods declared.

Its not impossible to get a standard car, mine was completey stock except for side winkers and Nismo horns :wack:. Was imported by Charlie @ ProdriftUK and i can highly reccomend him (yes you should also get the auction sheet from any importer imo).

In regards to the T28r over T28 - You should see quicker spool obviously from the T28r and probably able to cope with a bit more boost. I wouldnt worry too much about the turbo, getting the right car is far more important imo and you can always upgrade to a GT2871r :)

Last edited: