What's new

Greetings!

E

empty_inside

Hi there! I'm Matt from Cambridgeshire and I've signed up because I'm very seriously considering getting an S15 Spec R :) I'm now at the stage of trying to justify it to myself as not being a completely stupid idea! I've a few questions if you guys don't mind. Apologies if they're answered elsewhere but I can't find much with the search button.

Torque-gt seem to have some nice ones, do people still rate Torque? I live so far away that I might not even be able to get down there for a viewing, so trust is essential.

What's the reliability really like? I don't commute by car, but as my only car it'd be very useful if it could be relied upon to start when I need to be somewhere...

What about servicing / repairs? Does anyone know of any garages in the Cambs/Essex area that know S15s? I've not yet found one that is prepared to take one on. I guess I need one that knows where to get parts at a sensible price too.

How crazy expensive are parts? I understand that the drivetrain is basically S14(a?), so I guess getting parts to get it moving again isn't hard, even if bodywork takes a while to arrive. Again, I don't want to be stranded for weeks at a time!

Sorry for the rambling first post, but thanks in advance,
matt

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hi matt, welcome to the s15oc :) heres my opinion on your questions :)

i didnt use torque but they are highly regarded on the forum, i havent read a negative review yet.

as for reliability...well...its very reliable for what it is. many s14a's are running around with 150k+ on the clock and still going strong and since they have essentially the same engine/chassis/most running gear etc then this is a good indicator. poorly maintained cars will obviously suffer.

servicing/service parts are as basic and cheap as on any car, its just about spending a little more on quality lubricants. learning to do your own servicing is a great way of getting to know the car and is very easy, plus you know its been done :)

almost all performance upgrades and engine components for the s14 are useable on the s15 meaning that they arent model specific and therefore arent that expensive (brakes are the same, engine, suspension is interchangeable, filters and so on) . there are a few s15 specific items dotted around, but most of it is just lifted from the s14a. parts are easy to source, just body panels are expensive and interior plastics, glass etc. lots of people that smash up bumpers etc find it cheaper to fit an aftermarket kit.

gearbox is different to s14 being 6 spd on the 15 and having a dual mass flywheel, but if the box broke and you couldnt get another easily then the 5 spd box from the s14 and its clutch/flywheel/prop is all interchangeable.

hope this helps - good luck with it ;)

E

empty_inside

Thanks Dean! That's really helpful - maybe all the rationalising I need :) If people running them reckon it can be an only car, that's good enough for me.

Good to hear the engines go on that long, with care of course. I'd intend to do simple servicing (fluids, filters, brakes, etc) myself but I'm no expert. The car would of course be loved like a brother :)

If the mechanical parts can be sourced in sensible time I'm not too bothered about the body work - you can drive round for a few weeks without a bumper if some idiot knocks it off, but not so much without an alternator.

Thanks again!

chelle83

Reaction score
Hi Matt
I'm also from Cambridgeshire. Would definately recommend torque-gt as thats where I got my spec S at the end of last year. bit of a trek down to them but well worth it. x

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi Matt :)

Welcome to S15OC... believe me you won't regret buying an S15 as long as you source a decent one from a trusted importer ;)

I also got mine from Torque GT... good, honest importing company run by Mike and Tristan. Prices are also very reasonable. They should also still offer part-ex which helped me out a lot!! Other importers highly recommended on here are Charlie @ Prodrift UK and Jurgen from JM Imports. Don't know if those importers would be closer to yourself?

As Dean says if you are willing to do general servicing yourself then it's pretty cheap to run an S15 considering how powerful the car is as standard. You can literally go into Halfords and buy a UK S14 200SX oil filter - same part as S15. Oils wise any decent branded fully synthetic will do and you only require about 3.5 to 4 litres max for oil change. Oil service is recommended every 6k since it's a turbo car etc.

Apart from that you just have rear tyres to swap probably on a 10 month basis depending on how hard you drive her... I drift streeto so mine lasts 3 months at the mo lol :wack:

And best thing is if you're ever stuck just ask on here as this is THE place where folk are friendly and where I've learnt sooo much. 18 months ago I didn't know how to swap an oil filter... today my car's in bits as I'm removing the turbo to elbow gasket, fitting a new rad hehe. It's all good and I'm sure you won't look back!!

James

E

empty_inside

Thanks James!

I'll have to look at the part-ex, dunno if anyone would want my hatchback, autotrader time I think.

6k miles for an oil change isn't that bad tbh compared to what I expected, and with a relatively small engine it's not /that/ much oil.

Yeah we'll see about tyres, maybe I'll take it easy to start with :)

I'm sure everyone's friendly, who knows when I might need some advice! I'd like to look after the car where I can, but I also know my limits and don't want to break anything :S Nice to know there's people round my way too, hi chelle! It's occurred to me that I should probably actually *see* an S15 at some point, you know, sit in one and make sure I fit. Maybe I'll check out one of those closer dealers, thanks.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
No worries mate - if you're not too bothered about getting the best price for your hatchback then still enquire with Mike/Tristan if you do decide to go for Torque GT. But if you can live with selling that first then it's up to you lol :)

Yeah have a look and search for recommended oils - I'm only fussy on using Silkolene Pro S 10W-50 because it's tried and tested with many S14/15 owners. I change my oil every 3/4k miles only cos I do a fair bit of drifting and track events throughout the year etc. As said no need to get such high ended oil brand and you deffo won't need 10W-50 (up to 40 is fine) unless like me you are pushing the engine constantly :D

I always open to anyone having a look around mine and I'll take people out for a spin (and drift if you're comfortable with that haha)... if you are ever in the West Midlands area drop me a PM and we'll hook up. You can have a good look around and I'll take you out for spin etc. It's all about being part of a community and got loads of modified car mates who would do the same lol. But we all know the S15 is just a bit more special than the Evo/Scoob/Honda boys hehe :p

S

S15 SILVIA

I'm currently in the process of getting my silvia from Mike at
Torque, and have to say he has been fantastic!!!
Quick to reply to e-mails, honest, and very helpfull!
Was interested in a few cars he found for me, but he was always honest about any faults, or reasons not to buy certain ones. Didn't want to just get me any old piece of ****e.
Didn't rush me!
Should be collecting mine in about 2 weeks, and can't wait!!!

Also, there are an extreamely helpful bunch on here to help you with any questions of problems.
Mike

E

empty_inside

EDIT: I'm in south Cambridgeshire, so Cambs/Essex/Beds/Herts/Lincon etc are good.

Hi again guys. I've got a request, may sound a bit cheeky! I really think I wanna buy an S15, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one in real life, let alone sat in one.

Before I part with a lot of cash, would anyone mind if I had a look at theirs? I don't want a test drive, just see if I've got enough head room and can get my clown feet on the pedals (I have trouble driving some small hatches). It'd also be nice to check the noise levels and see the boot for real (I need carry bikes occasionally).

Dunno if you get this kind of request often, but I'll happily meet someone in a carpark and buy them lunch if I can have a gander :)

TIA

D

darkphoenix

Hello mate, i highly reccomend Charlie at Prodrift. Such a decent guy, not out there to mess anyone about, completely honest and will help you after you've got the car home :). I'm in essex, you're more than welcome to pop round and I'll run you through the S15

E

empty_inside

Thanks darkphoenix, prodrift are only 100 miles from me; getting closer! It'd be cool if I could come over to Essex for a look, you free on the bank holiday monday?

D

darkphoenix

I am yes, you're more than welcome to come round abd have a look, you'll have to keep it in mind that it's in pieces atm lol. My number is ************

Last edited by a moderator:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
darkpheonix,

I have removed you phone number for safety reasons. I wouldn't like to see any member have a contact number on the internet. I am sorry if you feel that I may have stepped out of line, but I am thinking of your wellbeing. If you want to give empty_inside your number, please do it by pm.

D

darkphoenix

Thanks for that Meddler, realised before it was too late that i had posted it for the whole world to see lol.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
no worries. I wasn't sure if it was intentional, but I removed it to be safe.