What's new

large brew required

S

sfg

ok time is precious so here goes. 1999 gorgeous blood red s15. 56k on the clock. ?12k. garage comments 2 come....
+ lust central
light, low drivetrain loss as 2wd
stiffish chassis, chassis balance
masses aftermarket power, chassis, support
did i mention the horn factor?
unusual
turbo spools up really quickly

- low down throttle response [feels 'sluggish'] and power [light weight negates this a bit]
a degreee of steering slop at dead ahead [better than most but not ultra direct, go kart like an evo], no real feel [like
most cars on the road]
motor/ turbo not as herculean as evo but closeish
handling out of the box lags a fair way behind [...evo] esp. when wet
?? helical diff too quick witted and with stiff susp, VERY and UNPREDICTABLY snappy esp. in wet
brakes are only 'ok'
a modern ivtec would tranform it imo

mods - tested with nismo unadj susp and xs rear neg camber. steering felt better than an evo mr on the same freezing day but bilsteins on latter much better. got d2 coilovers [8/6 front rear spring rate, too stiff, will change soon] set on min damping. is just tolerable. damping seems good for now and d2 rose jointed tension rod, rear camber arms and toe [castor set from stock 6+ to almost 7.5], orig front neg camber of 2.5 set to 1.25 as is rear.

got danodesign lower front and rear arm braces and front and rear [latter unfitted yet] strut braces. upper boost pipe leak so replaced with driftworks fmic/ small battery [11 hrs to fit at powerstation!] along with subaru fitment free flow panel filter and scorpion decat and bleed valve. with a dirty air filter and cat and plastic welding eg temp boost leak repair [ric wood, stockport] got 228 bhp 200 lbft on dastek dyno.

powerstation checked for knock and lambda and found the map as opp to fuelling would NOT allow for more than 0.8 bar safely. this got 264 bhp @205 lbft on a 'low reading' maha dyno.

alignment [i'll post dyno graphs and alignment if you can tell me how to post pics] actually felt slightly worse than previous. i think bec i had more neg camber. i see i have +toe and i will try -1 toe all round next visit with whiteline lower front inner polybushes.

my only real criticism is the dangerously snappy rear end. this is despite reading nothing but massive praise for torque biasing diffs on the net. i've drifted a fwd type r accord [has front torsen funnily enough] on the power on a test drive
before but i'm seriously thinking of changing to a plated 'gripper' [custom if nec] diff if i cant get on with it.
i've posted 1 pic on the map website frappr.

one last thing. got a protech rds/cd/dvd/tv analogue/ 3.5'' screen with aux, sd, usb input. ?190 plus aerial and fitting not bad. bassmonsters [like me] might think it's lacking slightly but overall i'm happy though some dvds wont work [region specific]

throttle response has softened a little at low revs [prob bec i have a 500bhp ic and half that power] but quicker despite this. remember i have stock catback/ front pipe [next on the list with ecu remap and 1.2 bar/ fpr/ fuel pump/plugs]
ps. i'm coming from a 280 bhp 4wd galant vr4 which is utra refined and has masses low down stomp/ smoothness and fantastic benign driftability.
1 pic at frappr.

ok. you can go and and take a leak now class.

jamal :wave:

T

Tom

:wave: dude thats alot going on but welcome and enjoy :thumbs: :thumbs:

S

sfg

ps

forgot to mention the alloy maf to turbo pipe and tomei 260/ 12 cams ['roguepi', aus, ebay] waiting on a pay rise to install.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hey i think ur the only other person to have the same alloys as me OZ racings option rims right?

S

sfg

yep i think the alloys are std aftermarket option oz with 17'' 215/45. fairly light to handle. will be looking to pop on some 225/45 re070 sticky tyres in the future.
as for the colour : see it in the flesh and you'll def want one (ddg...). pearlescent white (my galant) also is a belter.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
its best if u get 225/45/17 all round maye ive got 215/45 for the fronts and 225/45 rears but the rears look better as i found out the wheels are 17x7 so i wouldnt go any bigger u might be able to get some 235 on i think...
I got some brigdestones potenza RE 050 which are very good aswell mate....