What's new

New to S15

Reaction score
Hey everyone today we paid for a Silvia s15 Spec S

Collect this weekend cant wait

this is going to be my girlfriends cars but ill be honest we both love it

what are the tuning options for the spec s?
is there anything we should be careful of or to look out for?

Cheers

Chris+Becky

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Welcome pal :)

Trail_S15 is your man for tuning the spec s, I'm sure he'll give you some pointers..

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Welcome to the club Crispyk, I'm definately no expert but I have a spec S!!! What do you want from it??

Powerwise there's very little you can do with it; mine has typical breathing mods (induction kit & cat back exhaust) and an aftermarket radiator so it has a very progressive power delivery and doesn't overheat on trackdays :D Tuning the DE motor is by all accounts very expensive! The best advice I've found for tuning it was here:

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?1288-non-turbo-chips&highlight=transplant

No chips available.. best to get a piggy back computer like emanage and tune yourself :)

Some quick tips:

1. change cams
2. install underdrive lightweight pulleys
3. install free flowing intake and exhaust
4. install headers (I will a set for sale very soon with minimal usage)
5. install Variable Fuel Pressure regulator - up the pressure a bit and then advance timing by rotating distributor cap.. but not too much :)

A very very noticeable increase in performance from this..
Alternatively you could get an SR20VE head (swap head & cams from SR20VE onto SR20DE & do all of the above!) or supercharger route - but both are wildly expensive!!!

The reason I haven't done any of them is because I'm skint plus I think an engine transplant will end up cheaper in the long run and have much more potential if I got used to the initial increase in power. By all accounts the cheapest transplant is an SR20DET from a late model UKDM 200SX.

Handling wise they're the same as the S14a and respond well to some Nismo springs & shocks. I would advise you to purchase a brake upgrade for the front too! You'll find some 4 pot brakes from a late model 200SX cheap enough & the difference is incredible! I track mine so have a full set of alignment arms, the brake upgrade, coilovers, ARB's, strut braces and Nismo bushes all round. I don't mind the stiffer ride on the road and the levels of grip on track are incredible!!

P.S don't let me put you off it, I love mine and use it every day :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for reply i love the look of your car! we bought it as a 2 way thing at the moment she is looking for a job was board of the civic typr r ep3 she loves the s15 so got the spec s but eventually she will want the turbo what are the engine choices to go in?

i think the next 6 mths will be focusing on the handling and getting stuff in for the conversion and making sure anything that goes on the spec s will be compatible lol its not even my car and i have more plans for it than she does!!

how much should you expect to pay for work emotion wheels 2nd hand no tyres 17” ?

sorry to pick your brain

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Thanks lad

The engine transplant options are endless! It all depends on your budget and who you can get to do it! I've read about, considered or seen all sorts from RB's (20, 25, 26, 30 :cool: ) to JZ's (1jz or 2JZ-GTE ;) ), V8's (LS1 or 2) and a VQ35DE but a lot of people are of the opinion that the Silvia is designed to have an SR and anything else will ruin it.... I'd tend to agree with them but thats not to say that if I happened upon a bit of spare cash that I wouldn't go with an alternative :D

From what I've seen / read the SR20DET from a late model 200SX is the cheapest route. These engines are much cheaper to buy plus the standard gearbox / diff can be kept as the drivetrain of the S14a is closer to the Spec S than that of the Spec R (which would require a new box etc).

As far as preparing the car for a transplant with handling mods etc goes, thats a fantastic idea (which I've been doing for 18 months now :annoyed: ) but have an idea what route you're going tranplsant wise first - no point buying 4 pot calipers if you're fitting a heavy RB up front :thumbs: A set of brembo's from a Z32 / R34 would be perfect for that route but they are significantly more expensive than a set of 200SX 4 pots...

The works are generally expensive but you could be lucky; there's a guy in Belfast selling a set at the minute very cheap - I'll try to find the link for you later....

Last edited:
Reaction score
see im a power man but i got to keep telling my self this is my girlfriends car she has had some big powered cars before but we think the SR route should be enough ill speak to my garage and see what they think like i said it wont be for a while but i want plans in place for when we are ready

im in the process of sorting a build on my impreza stroker kit and 6 speed, and i know how much the budget can get brown out of the water with differnt things so with thew s15 im going to sort as much as i can before so its just the engine left

if you could get the link that would be good ill get some pics up of the cars at the weekend

chelle83

Reaction score
hi and welcome
I also have a spec S and love it to bits. I've not done anything with mine power wise eitehr and TBH i'm just so happy to have one lol x