What's new

Hi! help me out here... Supra or S15 or R34 GTT

S

shibby

hey all
Name is alex.
I just moved to the UK a couple of month ago, and i am looking to get a new performance car.
I had a couple of turbo cars in the past but all FWD.
And i think it is time to move to RWD, and those 3 are on my list:
95+ Supra TT J spec
98+ R34 GTT
02 S15 spec R
All RWD, all turbo'd, 2 are 6cyl and only the S is 4cyl.
I know the S is the slowest of all, but i really like the shape, it is also the most economical iin MPG.
The supra is the easiest to make big power.
And the R34 is a great looking car with a fantastic noise, with very respectable performance numbers.

What i am looking for is a car that will be my Daily driver, but i also want to take it around some circuit as time attack (road race) and drifting, and yet be comfy enough to carry my GF and friends around town, or my 60+ parents without breaking their backs.
I did some reading but i am not finished yet, the power goals in the S15 would be 350WHP+ to 400WHP and i will be very happy (for a bit).

So if you have made it this far, thank you :p And please tell me, what would you do!
what are your pro and cons about the S15 and the others if you have any experience in them.
thanks to u all

My last project 2006 Mazda 3 4cyl 2.3L
full engine rebuild, Rev up to 8500RPM, lower CR to 8.1.1
tranny rebuild with billet gears + LSD
T3T4 .60 trim turbo kit @18psi on pump = 415WHP

Video was done at 8PSI only without the LSD:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if you asked me, i'd say the r34 was the slowest car on that list due to its weight, it may have more power as standard but if it was running the same as an s it wouldnt get near it. the supras are getting on now and starting to look a bit dated, thought they are pretty much bulletproof. as for the s15, 350+whp is not a problem at all on a forged engine with the right turbo but the transmission will need strengthening or changing for another. welcome and i hope you find what you want :).

S

shibby

Thanks!
Would you say it is a reliable car to run as a daily driver, winter and heavy rain included!?
one more question lol, do you know a good online shop for the S15, this i am new to the UK i dont know any.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mines been reliable but its not a daily driver - for the first six months i used it every day and it was absolutely spot on. as you modify the 15 you may find you no longer want to be out on wet roads - like me, at standard power i ran it all weather but now i wont as a silly mistake could put me into a tree :) there are lots of parts suppliers for the s15, rarer items have to be sourced from overseas via rhdjapan or perfectrun but in the uk there is driftworks, apex performance, db power, sumo power, co-ord sport......the list is long as most performance parts are directly interchangeable from the far more common s14a 200sx and parts prices are generally very cheap for what you get in the world of s-bodies, its only if you get bitten by the 'jdm snob' bug that you will find modifying far far more expensive without necessarily bearing any more fruit :)

Reaction score
Love the mazda mate, I had an RX8 which I swapped for a mazda 3 before chopping it in for the S15... Loved it and I can imagine how fun your one must have been!

I wanted a Supra for ages but the insurance was a killer and I decided I wanted something a bit more 'nible' the Supra is a bit of a boat! The S15 is extreemley reliable in my experience, there are of course common faults like coilpacks etc but arent there on any car?

Its a personal choice though mate and im sure youll get the one you want :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Was trying to decide between S15, Supra and S2000.

I took an s2k out and whilst its a great car in what it was, it wasn't for me. Couple of days later a mate of mine took me out in a mildly tuned S14a and i liked it. Slept on it for two days then bought my own s body.
For me to buy the Supra as a daily drive (50 miles round trip to work) i would probably have to be an oil baron due to its thirsty 3 litre engine. Another point that put me off them was that you have to part with a lot more money to get one with a nice kit/kit it yourself as standard they do look old, very old.
As for the R34 GTT- there getting common. Whilst not necessarily a bad thing- and the same thing could be said about the s15- i prefer a car thats that little bit rarer. I'd probably end up regretting buying one too thinking that if i'd worked that little bit harder, saved a bit more and had more patience i could of had an GTR; which imo is the only skyline worth buying. But; you need deep pockets for the GTR R34 :down:

You can only learn so much from a dedicated owners club/forum as some of the opinions may be bias and what one guy thinks is 'fast' or comfy another guy may think is pretty average.

If i were you, i'd go out and try each of the cars for yourself before parting with your cash.

My 2p.

EDIT:

As for adverse weather conditions.....

S15 is deadly in the snow-even with all weather tyres and 100 kilos of ballast in the boot.
Its ok in the rain so long as you respect the car for it being RWD and relatively powerful.

Last edited: