What's new

Newbie!

M

Marcs

Hi there!
Im Marcus
Im a big S15 fan and have pretty much signed up on here to have a lil' snoop for information on S15's
I currently drive a 106 GTI and am a member of many forums.
Ive been tempted to go jap for so long! And keep getting torn between ek9's RX7 FC's and S15s
So thought id have a look around to see what i can learn.

Hope you dont mind.
Was wondering though, how much do the SPEC S and R 15s differ as far as ive found so far its the turbo, some strut braces and the gearbox? Is it worth converting a S into a R would you just spend more than buying an R out right?
Any other noob information you guys could point me to would be great!:)

So thanks and Hello

Reaction score
Country
Hey welcome! :wave:

Yes, the Spes S is non turbo with a 5 speed and the Spec R is turbo with 6 speed box. I think most people on here would say dont bother with a conversion as its a lot of work... plus im pretty sure you cant just "bolt" a turbo straight on to the SR20DE engine... (i could be wrong however). Regarding the cost im not sure again but it would probably be getting close to the price of a Spec R. There are people on here with more knowledge than me that can better answer that. :nod:

Most things like this have already been asked tones of times before though so use the search button mate and you should be able to find lots of info in old threads! :)

M

Marcs

cheers guys! I did have a little look around searching but wasnt too successful:(

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Welcome to the club Marcs. Get the Spec R, there are a lot of differences and you get a lot more car for your money with the R. The tuneability of the Spec S is seriously limited without an engine transplant whereas the R has almost endless possibilities for all sorts of budgets...

The main differences include:
- Engine, turbo & ancillaries
- Front brake calipers and BMC
- Gearbox & Diff
- Chasis bracing

M

Marcs

Ah right so the engines are built differently then!

Cheers Trial S15

Looks like it will be a while longer before i can get a spec R :p:(

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Yup :cry: there is a fair few +T's in New Zealand but the Turbo route is cheaper with a transplant in UK / Ireland. S14a shaped 200SX SR20DET's can be got relatively cheaply ATM and the transplant is relatively easy apparently...

M

Marcs

Yup :cry: there is a fair few +T's in New Zealand but the Turbo route is cheaper with a transplant in UK / Ireland. S14a shaped 200SX SR20DET's can be got relatively cheaply ATM and the transplant is relatively easy apparently...
Has anyone on here done the conversion?
Perhaps a blog i could look at?