What's new

Hello from Socal

T

thehiddensound

Hey everyone,

I live in southern California and I bought a Silvia S15 Spec-S Unibody about three months ago. There aren't to many of these out here so I wanted to join an actual S15 Owners Club because in my experience some of the best info is found on owners club forums. Needless to say, I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Here's my car

1999 Silvia Spec-S Aero

Red Top SR & 5 speed
S15 Turbo & Injectors
F-Con S Computer
GT-R Fuel Pump
ACT Street Clutch
Apexi Intake
Reinhard Exhaust
Trust DP
Decat
FMIC
HKS Hypermax D Coilovers
Z32 Front Calipers
PMU Slotted Rotors
Braided Lines
Gramlight 57maximum's
R34 GT-R Seats

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
more and more s15's turning up in the states huh.. is there an easy way to import them yet or still real hard to?

Welcome mate, you'll find Pewters.. the fastest colour ;)

Reaction score
Welcome, I find it interesting to see that someone has chosen a S15 in a country that has such a large domestic car market and even manufactures Japanese cars on home soil.
Do you get many looks when your driving as they are of limited numbers in the States

Great choice of car BTW:D

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Welcome, I find it interesting to see that someone has chosen a S15 in a country that has such a large domestic car market and even manufactures Japanese cars on home soil.
Do you get many looks when your driving as they are of limited numbers in the States

I can anwser that, American Cars in general are ****e, And the Japanese cars that are made in America remind me of cheap copy's with differant badges like "Acura"

lol :thumbs:

T

thehiddensound

more and more s15's turning up in the states huh.. is there an easy way to import them yet or still real hard to?

Welcome mate, you'll find Pewters.. the fastest colour ;)
Yeah, it is still pretty difficult. The company that brings in the unibodies is called Kaizo Industries. So I bought the unibody from them, bought an S13 front clip, put everything together and then registered the car as a kit / home built car. It is way better than the whole trying to get a car federalized and up to DOT and FMVSS standards and everything.

It is still a long and expensive process, but well worth it for sure.

T

thehiddensound

Thank you!

Yeah there is definitely a good amount of people here that are into the domestic thing, and don't get me wrong I like certain domestic cars too, but none that I would have the budget to buy and build.

The funniest thing about driving the S15 here, is that only certain people will freak out. I will be on the freeway and a random EF Honda will come flying up on me, flashing there lights, taking pictures with their camera phones and whatnot. It is pretty funny.

T

thehiddensound

I can anwser that, American Cars in general are ****e, And the Japanese cars that are made in America remind me of cheap copy's with differant badges like "Acura"

Yeah, I would definitely agree. Most American cars fall apart. For example we got a new Challenger for a shop car and the first day it was here, we slid the passengers seat forward and the whole handle just fell off the seat. Ridiculous.

And I believe it is all about where the car was manufactured because here it is obvious that most Ford's are built terribly. But in the UK they don't have that stigma because they are built in factories over there which build them to a much higher quality.

T

thehiddensound

Very nice socal, I'm asuming its an Australian S15 if its a turbo spec S? Did you import it yourself?

P.S. Pewter FTW :thumbs:
Actually it is a Japanese Spec-S. So my car originally had the NA SR, 5 speed instead of the 6, 2 piston brake calipers, different sway bars and none of the chassis bracing. I bought the unibody which doesn't come with a drivetrain, then bought the S13 clip and put them together.

I didn't import it myself, I bought the unibody from Kaizo Industries and then bought the clip from a company here in Orange County.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Actually it is a Japanese Spec-S. So my car originally had the NA SR, 5 speed instead of the 6, 2 piston brake calipers, different sway bars and none of the chassis bracing. I bought the unibody which doesn't come with a drivetrain, then bought the S13 clip and put them together.

I didn't import it myself, I bought the unibody from Kaizo Industries and then bought the clip from a company here in Orange County.
I know, I've a Jap spec S myself :eek: I've the brake upgrade sorted (being fitted next week) and coilovers have sorted out the handling but an engine transplant is out of my price range at the minute :( Hopefully some time in the not too distant future.... What have you got planned for it next? You So Cal boys have a well earned reputation of producing some fantastic looking cars.....

T

thehiddensound

I know, I've a Jap spec S myself :eek: I've the brake upgrade sorted (being fitted next week) and coilovers have sorted out the handling but an engine transplant is out of my price range at the minute :( Hopefully some time in the not too distant future.... What have you got planned for it next? You So Cal boys have a well earned reputation of producing some fantastic looking cars.....
Oh, that is cool. There really isn't too much different between the two once you swap drivetrains. The thing that is killing me is the differential. I went to have some dents taken out of my front passengers door in Huntington beach and the shop had a pretty slanted driveway. So when I pulled up and got my front right tire on first and started to turn up, it lifted my right rear tire off the ground about six inches and that is the tire that gets power. So my car just sat there and turned the wheel that was in the air. I had to roll back down and reverse back into a side street to use the shops side entrance. It was totally embarrassing.

So for my next upgrades,

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL :D:D:D
Steering wheel and boss
Willans harnesses
Z32 MAF
Boost, IAT and Oil Temp Gauges
Dyno Tuning

Reaction score
Looks cool :thumbs: Think I'll be over in the new year so perhaps will see you at local meet. Don't think I saw any 15's at SEMA :(

Reaction score
Country
Hello :wave:

Damn nice S15 you have there. Nice wheels as well, i was considering them before deciding on my WORKS :)

02specraero

man you couldnt be more right! our cars are crap! I just got an 08 Saleen F-150 and the paint was so crappy i had to repaint it and with just 12000 miles on it i had to change the spark plugs!!! WTF????!!!!

Welcome my fellow American! Good to see more of us silly yanks on here :D lol jk

Reaction score
welcome to the forum, very nice car you have there! Diff is definitley something to invest in, ive no idea how some of you guys drive around on the standard one :D

T

thehiddensound

Looks cool :thumbs: Think I'll be over in the new year so perhaps will see you at local meet. Don't think I saw any 15's at SEMA :(
Yeah, I went to SEMA as well and I didn't see any S15's either. It was my first time at SEMA and although there was some cool stuff there, there was a lot of crappy stuff as well.

I still haven't brought my car yet, but we usually go to Cars & Coffee in Irvine every Saturday morning. When you get over here it is definitely a cool weekly meet to check out.

T

thehiddensound

Hello :wave:

Damn nice S15 you have there. Nice wheels as well, i was considering them before deciding on my WORKS :)
Thank you very much. The wheel selection was definitely tough for me. In a perfect world, money no object I would have went with LMGT4's or TE's in a 17 X 9 + 22 all around.

But for me, I could save a good amount of money going with the Gram Lights and then use that saved money for other modifications. I will just have to wait until later to get a nice set of forged one piece wheels.

P.S. - The Works look hard! I love the bright white with white wheels combo.

T

thehiddensound

man you couldnt be more right! our cars are crap! I just got an 08 Saleen F-150 and the paint was so crappy i had to repaint it and with just 12000 miles on it i had to change the spark plugs!!! WTF????!!!!

Welcome my fellow American! Good to see more of us silly yanks on here :D lol jk
Thanks for the warm welcome, I would love to see more of these cars over here. :):):)