What's new

Yeah yeah.. another new one

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Just thought I'd say Hi.
I'm going to look at a 99 Spec-R on Friday.
Hopefully I'll then be driving it home :D

I'm really looking forward to the drive. Coming from a Mazda MX-6 with it's 2.5 V6, the S15 is going to be a completely different beast.

Fingers crossed the car looks OK when I get there.

Wish me luck

Russ

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
best of luck with it, hope its a minter!:)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Don't forget some pics.

:wave:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That seems almost suspiciously cheap for a standard low mileage Spec R.

Standard, but 280bhp... :indiff:

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com

I know what you mean, it does have me a little concerned. But I'll walk away if I don't like it. The guy sounds OK, and assures me it really is in great condition. I'll be keeping an eye out for paint mismatch and dodgy panel lines/joins.

As for the power, he does state elswhere in the ad it's 250... I think the 280 will be a typo.

Russ

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country

It's probobly the Ravs wheels :D

Edit: Ask if there is any auction grade sheet. It should state the mileage in japan (km) and a big fat stamp on it ifs been changed in japan.
Checking mileage on a S15 is hard without an auction sheet. I don't know how else to find out.
The add say that the milage have been changed to match in miles, so it has definetly been altered. Just look on the usuall tell tales (steering wheel, gear knob, seats etc) to see if the milage looks correct.
Although if the car seems nice, runs fine and is up to what you was looking for I see no problem :)

Reaction score
Country
Those arent Volk wheels btw the way. They are cheap ass Inovit copies. Just so you know as proper Volk TE37s would cost you over £1500 new. Probably worth questioning about it to see how honest he is

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Can mileage be checked on the de-registration documents ?
The de-registration certificate from japan?
i don't thinks so, but I'll check when I get home if there is any paper eccept the auction sheet which can indicate the mileage.

You could go sticker hunting on the car as alot of service parts come with stickers which you wright date and mileage on when the part was exchanged.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Those arent Volk wheels btw the way. They are cheap ass Inovit copies. Just so you know as proper Volk TE37s would cost you over £1500 new. Probably worth questioning about it to see how honest he is
I did notice they weren't the real deal. I'm not too concerned about that, but as you say could be worth asking him.

Then again... it does appear that he thinks they are Rays wheels. Why else would he go to the effort of making sure there is a picture of the peeling sticker in the ad? At a glance it is easy to assume!

I shall be calling him later today to arrange the meeting so will try to think about a question on the wheels.

I get the impression that most are concerned about the mileage than the potential accident damage of the car. Is clocking of some description a common issue when these are brought in?

If the car had been 'adjusted' to show a lower mileage, I would expect that to be done to allow him to charge a higher price.
The low price has me thinking of accident repair damage.

Russ

D

david

Nice lookin car does sound too cheap tho. Watch out incase it was a crash repair.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Just had a quick chat with the guy... All the paperwork will be there apparently, including the auction sheet and de-registration document.

The car hasn't been in an accident, although he has dome some work to the front bumpers and lights. it had lights he didn't like or something (I'm not very good with accents, and the welsh accent, while he's driving his car isn't easy to understand) and they were pushed in a bit. Anyway, he's sorted these and re-painted the bumpers.

Anyway.. I'm looking forward to getting down there and taking a look at the car now.

I can't wait

Reaction score
Country
Just checked my de-reg form and no mention of the total mileage before export, although some mention of stuff on 2 lower mileages ???

The orginal auction sheet should be on a thin piece of paper with original pen writing. A copy could mean its been modified :(

Finally you could get a BIMTA check done ?

P

Pazz

JEZ yours is the original auction sheet??? Of all the JDM owners I have spoken to I dont think they have had the originals. Always faxed copies etc.

BIMTA, are a waste of time in my oppinion. Try ringing their office. If you ask me they are too keen on supporting the dealers/sellers which pay them a subscription fee rather than the individual buyers.

Reaction score
Country
Yep, with original pen writing :) Ive also got the handbook and original receipts, service info etc as the car only had 1 owner and kept everything in order.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
I haven't done a BIMTA check. My mate bought an imported scoob that had a BIMTA check and certificate to show the car was fine and had no accidents etc while in Japan.

When he came to sell the car, an RAC check was done and the guy spotted front end repairs. He effectively said the BIMTA certificates weren't worth the paper they were written on.

At the end of the day, so long as any repairs are done properly, although I'd rather have one that hasn't had an accident, the car should eb OK.

I will have to get a bit more detail on what this front end work was he did. Something I think will be easier in person while looking round the car.

Russ

edit: looking again, the BIMTA website doesn't mention anything about accident checks.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The BIMTA check doesn't check for accidents. Its to verify mileage, that its not stolen and there's no outstanding finance.

TBH, its VERY rare to get a S15 which hasn't had some sort of accident damage. If you've got a good repair you're lucky. Japanese bodyshop work often leaves a lot to be desired...