What's new

Howdy

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
Hiya.. the name's David, and I hail from Wellington in New Zealand. I've got a pewter '99 JDM S15 Spec S V package which is in the (very) early stages of becoming an SQ project.

I don't have a current pic of the car, but the last one I did take is http://www.hoodoo.co.nz/silvia-large.png.

Not much in the way of mods.. it comes HID lights and Nismo shocks + springs from factory, as well as some interior trim options. It has what are presumably Japanese knock-offs of OZ Racing Superturismo wheels.

Simota pod filter installed, front Nismo strut tower brace waiting to be installed, clear side indicators and some LED tail lights which haven't been installed yet either (I need to locate a short in the earth wiring on that side of the car).

Mostly debadged - everything except the lightning bolt on the hood is gone.

The intention is to drop a set of DLS components in the front, powered by an e-audio 280AB amp.. at least to begin with. I'm looking at installing a Mac Mini, with a DSP converter to 6 channel analogue audio, and a nice touch screen. This isn't going to happen quickly though. ;)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
:wave: Welcome. Is yours a turbo or is it N/A? Looks very clean from the picture.

Are you installing a sub? Have you thought about the location? I am just about to do an install on mine. I will hopefully start on that today, weather permitting. :) Getting a decent box size in the boot for the sub is my biggest problem at the moment. Just wondered if you had any ideas.

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
JDM Spec-S is N/A.

I'll install a sub eventually .. probably a 10". I'm not entirely sure where/how I'm going to install it though.. I've been trolling forums like www.nzicemag.co.nz looking for options, some of which look pretty cool. I may end up deadening and using the wheel well, but I'll do a fair bit more research before I do.

Hah, I've heard a heap of people bitching about getting a decent size sub into the back of sils, or batties for that matter. I think you can get away with a smaller enclosure if it's not ported? I'm not really after power so much as quality of sound, so mine won't need to be large.

One of the cooler options I've seen was a box custom-built to fit in the gap between what I assume is the fuel tank, and the parcel tray, behind the rear seats. They slid it into place from the inside of the car, with the top of the seats out.

Good luck getting yours installed!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, it's pretty small above the fuel tank. I don't really want to lose the spare tyre. I occasionally do long trips in it, so that is the last thing I need to be stuck 50km away from help.

I think I have got a small enough boxs to fit there, it's just the boot torsion bars that are a PITA. why to car maker use them, when they can use gas struts?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I am going to try, I am just about to order a cusco under parcel shelf strut bar.

Now getting it all to fit will be fun. Time to get out the fibreglass and resin!

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
Curious, they work for me. Do you get a 404?

I was looking at one of the cusco braces for under the parcel shelf.. Let me know if it makes much of a difference to the ride.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
working now, could have been my end. not a bad install.

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
I think it was done by one of the local Car Audio companies.. I've got a few pictures of the build process, and I like the idea of it.. though if I end up going with 5.1 channels that would just be a pain for locating amps, and changing the rear speakers.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I am looking at 4.1. If I don't like it, I am going to make some door pods and move my rears up to the front.

I am racking my brain on how I am going to get the strut brace through the middle of the box :confused:

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
5.1 makes more sense on mine, because it was used for that in Japan .. there's a centre speaker fitted behind the dash, next to the steering wheel heh. Otherwise I'd just go 4.1 as well. It does mean an extra amp though.

I don't think you could have a boot install like that, and a strut brace.. unless you somehow managed to build the thing in place.

Are you doing any sound deadening?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, I think I can make the box around the brace. I won't know until the brace turns up after christmas.

I will sound deaden the doors. I have some already on the inside of the rear guards. I am not sure if it needs much else. I may put some on the boot lid. depends on how much it rattles.