What's new

strongly considering an S15...

P

Pierscoe1

...and I have a few questions for you guys.

I would want a completely standard car really, as I've seen lots for sale that 'look' standard, but have one or two tell-tale modifications like "strut-brace and aftermarket LSD", which smacks of a car that was a drift-slag in japan, and has been put back to standard (or nearly) for sale...

is it possible (at a reasonable cost) to get completely standard and un-abused S15's still, or have they all been drifted round tokyo in the middle of the night for their whole lives??

this is the main thing that concerns me about getting an S15.. I don't want a car that's had a really hard life and is going to need new bushes/shocks/springs/diff/clutch etc etc

Also, what is the situation with repairs to the S15-specific bits (i.e. not bits that are also on the S14) such as the gearbox? if it's damaged, would I have to wait 2 months for one to be shipped from Japan?

Any other pointers for a potential new owner??

this car would be my daily driver, and I'm not really interested in modding it (apart from maybe some nice TE37's and whiteline arb's or similar)...

Thanks all...

Piers.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hi buddy iam guessing ur in the uk right??

there are still lots of standard ones about just have to look about and go see them, to be honest u willl never know how the car was driven by the previous owner/owners.....but a S15 which has been slightly modded is fine most actually have stage one bits like exhaust filter suspension and stuff like that but anything else u dont really wanna go near.....

well boxes are not that hard to get hold of now as a few of the guys on here have had these problems and have sorted it out pretty quick....and as a daily drive its fine i use to have mine as a daily drive untill i got something cheaper for really just going to work and stuff cuz i wanted to save the mileage on mine....

engine wise most parts are the same as the S14/S14A.....but stuff like exhausts are different dont go but thinking oh same engine should be the same they are NOT.....but certain parts do fit....dont quote me on that....

i can tell u now stuff like bushes will not have gone most jap imports are pretty good plus the age of the car isnt really old so they wont have worn so quick...

drive wise its wicked i never thought the drive would actually be that good to be honest i thought it will kick out really easy but it hold to the ground very well no problems even in the wet for me....i a aggressive drive ive been told lol

the best thing is really go go see or test drive one torque imports are pretty good guys a couple of the guys on here have brought from them and nothing but praise so u can count them trust worthy

oh yeh me just talking away for got to say welcome :wave: even tho i can see uve be about for sometime hehe:thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
What he said ^^^ :)

Most parts can be ordered direct from Japan (for considerably less than from Nissan GB) and will be with you within 1-2 weeks. Take a look at the Sticky threads in the traders section. Body panels and bumpers are trickier, though should be available via Nissan GB (except Aero parts).

If you go via one of our recommended importers, they will find you a car as close to what you want as possible :) As Ming said, don't be worried about exhausts, filters, wheels, etc. These are very common mods and aren't anything to be concerned about. Stuff, as you say, like diffs, suspension, braces, boost controllers, full body kits, etc. steer well clear.

As with any car, there's no real way of knowing 100% if its had a hard life or not. It could be completely standard and have had its nads thashed off, or it could be modified and driven lovingly...

P

Pierscoe1

thanks guys.. that's put my mind at rest somewhat..

it's just stories like this (from another thread) that worry me:

"Very happy. Only problem I had was with the gearbox which decided to stop working properly after a couple of hundred miles"

I don't know anything about this car, and maybe it was known to be a drifter etc and had a price according, but still a little scary.. I can't afford to spend upwards of ?10k on a car and have the gearbox break on the way home!

I'll keep searching though, and get in contact with some of the recommended importers (which are who besides torque?)

thanks again...

p.s. yep, been on here a while, but am finally getting to a stage where I can sell my car and seriously consider it's replacement.. at long last!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That problem could have happened to any car though :) If you buy from a decent source, a mechanical failure that soon would be cover by warranty :)

The S15's drift reputation has been cultivated in the UK, particularly since every chav and his dog has been able to afford an S13 and S14. I think if you went to Japan, you'd find that most people drive them normally. :)

I've started a sticky thread in 'Importer' for people to add their recommendations. :)

Torque and ProDrift are two favourites though :)

Reaction score
Come and have a look at mine! Pretty much standard, excellent condition. :thumbs:

P

Pierscoe1

I have looked at yours... and very nice it is too...

too many miles on the clock for me though (and I want a pewter one)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I had the gearbox pro but as nicely said that cud happen 2 any car. **** happens. I bought mine from torque gt and its covered by warrenty. I found a gearbox for it and will have its cost covered by the torque lads. they have been very gud. My advice is to go for it if its wat u really want, u'll never look back.

Reaction score
Modifications within reason are not all bad - afterall, it saves you having to fork out for them yourself. The condition of the car rather than level of modification is what you have to consider.

Bolt on's and an aftermarket ECU should be fine. Driveline and internal engine work - admittedly I too would avoid.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I wouldn't go anywhere near an imported car fitted with an EBC, piggy-back ECU, etc. There is no way to know if it was fitted properly, setup properly, and been run properly. Plus, in the UK, you have to trust that the prepping garage knew what they were doing when they removed it for the ESVA test and refitted it afterwards...

Its a different ball game if the mods were done in your country, as its generally easier to check the history of the car.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go anywhere near an imported car fitted with an EBC, piggy-back ECU, etc. There is no way to know if it was fitted properly, setup properly, and been run properly. Plus, in the UK, you have to trust that the prepping garage knew what they were doing when they removed it for the ESVA test and refitted it afterwards...

Its a different ball game if the mods were done in your country, as its generally easier to check the history of the car.

Ahh, I see where you're coming from. In NZ, we don't have such laws that make removal of mods necessary.

Will you eventually sell your car in it's current state or return it to standard?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its easier to sell cars if they are returned to a more basic state. However, its a bit different with S15s in the UK. I'd say that 90% of the people who buy them are going to modify them and would like one with mods in place. The important thing is that there is a history so that a potential buyer can see what's been done and get an idea if it was done properly and what sort of life the car has had. You will have this if selling an S15 on in the UK, whereas you haven't got a clue if its just been imported.

There is no requirement to return the car to standard once it has passed its initial conformity check (ESVA).

Reaction score
I still have all my standard parts but I doubt I'll return it to standard when I sell.

Bearing in mind the target market of our cars - there probably won't be a need ;)