What's new

Hi, Considering a S15

P

Petey099

Hi I currently own a 300ZX SWB TT
Thinking of getting a S15 but had a few question, more then likeley the answers lurk somwhere on the forum but thought id ask :)

Whats the full spec for the car? Power/Torque 0-60 time etc?
Also what are they like on Petrol? Reckon it should be better then my 300zx ?

Also reliability any good? Do they need alot of work etc?

Any info/advice would be good.

I should be test driving one tommorow 2001 Reg 59k on the clock fresh import up for sale for 10k.

Cheers
Pete.

B

Bry

specs here http://nissansilvia.biz/specs_s15.htm

250 bhp 200ftlb torque as standard,but as I'm sure you're aware just by changing an exhaust/filter,FMIC and a slight boost rise should see around 280bhp and some good torque gains,which in a car that weighs 1240kg makes for a pretty quick car with a 0 to 60 time below 5 seconds.They are very reliable and pretty good on fuel too

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

250bhp is on Jap fuel, so it won't run that in the UK as standard, and it certainly won't in Ireland (you are from there?) running 95RON. It is hugely important that you get it remapped if you intend running 95RON. Jap fuel is 100+RON and the cars are mapped for this.

Once properly mapped, you should see well over 30mpg as standard. I get 26-28mpg running 330bhp (with a decent remap).

Reliability is generally rock solid until you start modding over about 330-350bhp. Some Spec Rs suffer from a weakness in the six speed box (search 'circlip').

P

Petey099

Nope not from ireland so will be running Vpower or some sort of super unleaded :)
Is that ok on normal mapping ?

Reaction score
Country
Anyone running on the Tescos 99 RON ? Ill probably get mine mapped on that when i get an S15 but was wondering if it would cause issues if i then used SUL 97 RON now and again ?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Tesco 99 is all that goes in mine now. I refuse to be butt-shafted by Shell for VPower (3p a litre more). 99 is just as good, if not better. :)

Reaction score
Country
The bare minimum is 96ron to be safe.

What are the ratings of the Vpower you guys have? Some other states in australia has the new 100ron vpower with 5% ethanol. Damn it'll be donkey years till our side gets it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Vpower in the UK is 97RON. Are you talking ADM or JDM S15s? ADMs are mapped for 95RON.

I'd love to convert to E85, but the nearest supplier is 100 miles away! :(

Reaction score
Country
Its not Tescos though. http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

The myths about supermarket fuels really don't hold water (excuse the pun). The fuel leaves exactly the same refineries as the Shell, BP, etc tankers. It just goes out in supermarket tankers.

All the Skyline boys swear by is too. :)
Im also sure this is true, my brother knows someone thats worked at the refineries and they supply pretty much all the companies with the same fuel. I think the only difference between the companies is the additives etc that get put in.

Is it also true though that a fuels octane level can drop the longer its kept in storage at a petrol station? If so then a more popular station will have better fuel as its replenished more often ?

I think we may be going slightly off topic here :eek:

Last edited:
B

Bry

Its not Tescos though. http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/index.html

The myths about supermarket fuels really don't hold water (excuse the pun). The fuel leaves exactly the same refineries as the Shell, BP, etc tankers. It just goes out in supermarket tankers.

All the Skyline boys swear by is too. :)
Apart from when Tesco's fuel caused hundreds of cars to brake down due to a high silicone content :D but funny enough the guy I use for mapping swears by Tesco's 99 :wack: In my old car when going on dyno days or trackdays I used BP 102 ron,man is that stuff dear :eek: but it did give an extra 40bhp (it allowed alot more ignition advance to be added to the map ). Trouble with tesco stations is they are always jam packed near me :annoyed:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The problems weren't with Tesco 99 though (except for one or two people who appeared to be jumping to conclusions). Tescos were forced to replenish all 99 stock due to the media over-reaction (as usual). I nearly always fill up at 10-11pm at Tescos and I always use the 'pay-at-pump' :D The place is deserted.

Can't comment about BP 102, but I would touch their Ultimate with a badge pole. Det-in-a-nozzle. Plus its 5p more expensive than Tesco 99 round my way! :eek:

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I try to keep on the tescos stuff at night (apparantly less fuel vaour) but as I am no longer near a supplier I go for the shell. Its only recently been boosted to 99ron but still shell refuse to put the octane rating on the pumps - they say it complies with BS something or another.