What's new

Hi im New here!

J

Jrk-SX

Hey Fellas,

im new here..
Im from Syd, Aus..and i recently bought a 01 s15 spec R. (ADM) just here to get some help (if and when i need it) and check whats new and all..

i own a pewter 01 s15 spec R i bought it with 32,000kms came with apexi front mount intercooler, apexi pod, 2.5-3inch turbo back exhaust & nismo fuel pump. no major plans for it at this stage..id post some pics if i new how..the thing is im at work and i dont want my boss to see me ...

ive got my 5k service coming up and i wanted to know what the best engine oil is to use?? (please be specific) im an amateur when it comes to these things and i would appreciate it if you guys can help me out..

cheers,
Jas.:wave:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

I'll let the Aussies or SE Asian guys answer your oil question, as the Euro climates call for different oils :)

G

gunner93

Welcome. Pewter is sleek! 5W40 for me mostly casual street driving and occational week-end sprited driving.

S

SX2002

Hi and welcome Jas.
I'm in Adelaide....the best, as far as I'm concerned, is the Nissan 7.5W-30. It's only about $27 -$30 for 5 litres. I've used it in my S15 since new (August 2002) and in my N14 (SR20DE) before that for 10 years. No problems and a good price.
A lot of guys use the 5W stuff (Mobil 1?) but after doing some checking with Nissan Australia and my local Nissan dealer, the definite recommendation by all was the Nissan stuff. I know it's their oil, but the tech guys said it was the one to use as well. Some Nissan dealers use Castrol Magnatek which is a 10W - 30.
The general concensus is that the 5w is too thin for Australian conditions.
Even in the owner's handbook the lowest they show is 10W 30, 40 and 50.
I know when the temp hits 45 degrees during summer, I don't want oil that turns to consistency of water.
Ron.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
When it comes to fully synth oils, the SXOC have access to Ford's oil testing laboratories and have been running tests on various brands for a few years now. Results have shown that, unless you are regularly on the track, one brand is pretty much the same as the next. They all cope with 6k mile/10k km oil changes with ease and would probably be good for another 4k mile/6.5 k km +. The main decision is down to the rating you want to run, and that is dependent on the climate you drive in. In the UK, most SXOC guys will use 5W/10W50/60.

There's an excellent thread about ratings by Oilman here. :)