What's new

Hey Everyone! JDM 1999 S15 Spec-S Automatic - Pop-up Sat Nav

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Country
Instagram
@b.halligan
Hey everyone! My Dad passed away in September last year, and since everyone in my family knows even less about cars than me, I've been tasked with looking after his vehicles.

One of these cars is a Japanese-imported 1999 S15 Spec-S (automatic). It's all original aside from the wheels and the Aero wing that Dad added to it.

The only thing bugging me about it is that the pop-up sat nav display stopped working a couple of years ago. I'm in New Zealand and those things are an absolute rarity here, so it's quite difficult to find anyone who knows anything about them. I know they're not much use as a sat-nav outside of Japan, but it does have a nice interface for CD track selection, plus I'm a bit of a nut for the OEM stuff.

I believe the issue lies solely with the sat-nav control unit, because when I hook it up to power all I get is an electrical "ticking" sound from the unit, and none of the buttons do anything. It doesn't receive CDs either. My problem would almost certainly be solved by just replacing the control unit with another identical OEM one, but those seem to be equally hard to find (let me know if anyone here is selling one though). The unit's model number is CCU-3751V.

Anyhow, it's great to be here! I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you guys reading through these forums. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Apologies a bit late.. Welcome to the club!
Sorry to hear about your dad, I extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I hope you are all doing well.

The S15 looks immaculate, I don't think I've ever had the privilege to see one with the oem media systems still in place.

I saw you mentioned that the display isn't working, have you tried to disassemble it to see if there was any moisture related burnouts to the circuitry?

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Country
Instagram
@b.halligan
Thanks Joeh, that means a lot! Yes the rest of the family and I are doing better than we were. It's been quite therapeutic sourcing OEM bits and pieces for Dad's cars over the last 8 months (he owned a Z31 300ZX as well that I've also been working on).

Regarding the media system, I actually managed to find an identical control unit from a Nissan R'nessa at a wrecking yard I visited at the end of last year. After that it was just plug and play! Good as new. You can see the results in the video below (making good use of these new forum features!). I've never seen another one of these in New Zealand, so some other users on here might find it interesting:

View attachment vid-20200516-160402_D7RuSgmt.compressed.mp4
View attachment vid-20200517-153413_duskWlhW.compressed.mp4

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
That's great to hear 😊

Wow, I've learned something new today, I never heard of a Nissan R'nessa until now and seeing it has a SR20DET makes me want to try one.

It's excellent news that you managed to replace the unit, and seeing it in action makes me wonder why more people didn't go for this option, it really looks the part and works very nicely from what I can see.

Is the navigation also in Japanese? i.e. Japanese maps?

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Country
Instagram
@b.halligan
Yes, it's mostly in Japanese and the map+TV features definitely do not work in New Zealand haha. It works great for selecting CD tracks though! And it has a clock... :p

I probably wouldn't use it much but it's a nice party trick to show people who haven't seen them. Plus it adds some OEM value for collectors if I ever want to sell it or put it in a museum some day 😂

There's a small crack in the front edge of the surround/frame for it unfortunately, which kinda annoys me every time I look at it, so if anyone is selling one or knows where to get them then feel free to get in touch. I may have a go at very carefully gluing it at some point so it's not as noticeable, now that I can open the lid to pop it out.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Oh dear, I assume you could get a form of adapter to adjust the TV frequencies, and maybe there is a "rest of world" DVD update for the navigation, which you might not really use but would be cool to have.

I noticed the crack when looking at the photos as well, might be hard to hide it completely, but since the plastic is textured you might be able to lower its visibility quite a lot, worst case there might still be stock somewhere with Nissan if you wanted to enquire for a new one?

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Country
Instagram
@b.halligan
Yeah that's not a bad idea. I guess if anyone has one it'd be Nissan. No big rush anyway. I'm just happy it works haha.

Regarding the map/language DVDs, I know that aftermarket ones used to exist in the mid 2000's, but I honestly doubt anyone would bother making new ones when most people would just swap out the head unit and use Google Maps/Android Auto instead haha. If there are newer options for these dash screens that I'm unaware of (with minimal soldering or custom fab involved) then I'd certainly consider them though :)

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Might be best to measure the screen dimensions and compare this to pioneer products for example or likewise, unless of course there is a video-in input on there and you don’t have to replace it.

With the maps I’m not really sure but I assume that the first place to start is Nissan, see if you can get any part numbers for their CDs and then start googling as you might find something related. Not sure if the cd is listed in the Nissan FAST application but it’s possible.