What's new

Hello from Berkeley, CA

N

neosilvia

Good to know this problem exists. I have been looking at the HKS transmission as a replacement for the existing stock transmission.

S

sillbeers15

"It's at 400hp. I don't have anyone in my area that can tune the HKS. Not sure if its ingition or fuel at this point. It is only under hard acceleration pushing the car to the max. I don't have anyone in this area that can tune the HKS, it has to be done by an HKS authorized dealer. I am sure it can be worked out and it is probably a decent computer, but without the ability to tune it, it is worthless to me. I was almost sold on going with Motec, but now I am giving Apexi some thought as I already run that on my RX-7.
" - Neosilvia

I'm running on powerFC w. the boost control module, it has been supporting my setup for some 4 years and its been great with no glitches!

I know for a fact that PowerFC causes some problem to cars fitted with bigger turbines due to high back pressure that disturbs the MAF sensor in turn causes the PowerFC to rpm hunt during idle. But with GT-RS...its a piece of cake.

I've almost converted to Motec M400 if not bacause of feedback from buddies who have used it on S15 similar to my setup for less than ideal street drivibility.

Oh...at 400ps (flywheel) and below power...the stock gearbox handles well. The trick is not to install a superduper clutch. Like the saying, the weakest link will break under stress.

Reaction score
SilbeerS15 - How on gods earth have you wired up your boost control module???? Is yours the Power FC djetro model???? Ive tried so many times to wire mine up now and still no joy!

N

neosilvia

"It's at 400hp. I don't have anyone in my area that can tune the HKS. Not sure if its ingition or fuel at this point. It is only under hard acceleration pushing the car to the max. I don't have anyone in this area that can tune the HKS, it has to be done by an HKS authorized dealer. I am sure it can be worked out and it is probably a decent computer, but without the ability to tune it, it is worthless to me. I was almost sold on going with Motec, but now I am giving Apexi some thought as I already run that on my RX-7.
" - Neosilvia

I'm running on powerFC w. the boost control module, it has been supporting my setup for some 4 years and its been great with no glitches!

I know for a fact that PowerFC causes some problem to cars fitted with bigger turbines due to high back pressure that disturbs the MAF sensor in turn causes the PowerFC to rpm hunt during idle. But with GT-RS...its a piece of cake.

I've almost converted to Motec M400 if not bacause of feedback from buddies who have used it on S15 similar to my setup for less than ideal street drivibility.

Oh...at 400ps (flywheel) and below power...the stock gearbox handles well. The trick is not to install a superduper clutch. Like the saying, the weakest link will break under stress.
I am going to switch this car to 3 bar Map sensor, then either go with the D-jetro PCF or the Motec. When I am done with this car it will be pushing 500-600hp so MAF is not going not going to work for me.
When your buddies were talking about less that ideal street drive ability, was the car still good for track use, or just not good for stop and go commuter type driving? I am almost sold on the Motec, but the PFC price is making it tempting.
I've already done the clutch, great for the track, but not so good if I was going to try to run this on the street. Any warning signs when the gearbox starts to fail, or does it just go?

S

sillbeers15

"SilbeerS15 - How on gods earth have you wired up your boost control module???? Is yours the Power FC djetro model???? Ive tried so many times to wire mine up now and still no joy!" - channie

I honestly did nothing great. I'm running the off the mill PowerFC + optional boost control kit (the package contains the Apexi AVCR's solenoid attached to wiring loom that just plugs straight to our S15 stock solenoid wiring socket, along the package also contains a denso boost pressure sensor unit. So just tap the manifold vacumm line and wire the pressure sensor to the PowerFC unit (side of PowerFC unit contains a socket for the said wires to plug straight in). Finally, just activate the boost control module via the PowerFC Commander. I did the installation myself and did another S15 for a mate of mine.
I love the idea as the PowerFC controls everything such that there is no boost controller sticking up in my S15's interior.....clean and stealth.

"I am going to switch this car to 3 bar Map sensor, then either go with the D-jetro PCF or the Motec. When I am done with this car it will be pushing 500-600hp so MAF is not going not going to work for me.
When your buddies were talking about less that ideal street drive ability, was the car still good for track use, or just not good for stop and go commuter type driving? I am almost sold on the Motec, but the PFC price is making it tempting.
I've already done the clutch, great for the track, but not so good if I was going to try to run this on the street. Any warning signs when the gearbox starts to fail, or does it just go?" - Neosilvia

I know for a fact that M400 is sweet for the track for our cars. No too sure if the drivability at low speed or idle is so different as the stock S15 as some of my mates have said. I've yet to experience the M400.

But i do know for a fact that it becomes PITA when i'm trying to drive smoothly over poor road surface at low speed after I've installed the N15's 70mm throttle body. The extra sensitivity of the throttle body now + the strengthing on chassis makes balancing the gas padel cumbersome.....

I deliberately installed a set of clutch + lighten flywheel not higher than the power output i desire. In my thinking, I would prefer to deal with a clutch slipping problem (simple solution, just change clutch disc ...) than a broken gearbox if ever I go crazy on pushing my ride real hard on the track or street.