What's new

Reaction score
Country
Hi pal, seems to be cutting fuel under acceleration and has a dodgy idle. Ordered new fuel filter first and going to check coil packs after xmas. Plugs were fine. Then from there fuel pump and CAS.

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Yeah seems like a good place to start. Rewarding cars though, when you get there

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
The dodgy idle could be related to the AAC valve - mine was full of mess so I cleaned it out which did improve things a bit although not completely. Next port of call is the MAF.

Reaction score
Country
Car is stock. Changed fuel filter which helped a bit. Which makes me think it's fuel pump. CAS is fine so not that. Going to check for boost leaks when I have a free weekend. Then probably fit a Walbro as I would upgrade to one anyway.

Reaction score
Country
when you do a boost leak test, a simple "look" over the pipes will not suffice you need to do a proper pressure test

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
WTTC, boost leak was my first throught, it's worth a check may be a pipe that opens up when under pressure. But it may well be a couple of the little things that have combined. Best of luck with it youll love it when its sorted.

Reaction score
Country
I'm going to do a pressure test and i can't find anything take it for a smoke test. Plenty of time to get it sorted as it's garaged at the minute. I'll report back on boost test

Reaction score
Country
does the OEM WMIC crack like the S14/a ones do? that might be a good place to start

Reaction score
Country
So I've have a smoke test done. The garage said there was a leak down the bottom somewhere but couldn't see it. They also said the rocker cover gasket was leaking. And they could not run the full cycle. Is it even possible for the rocker cover to leak? Could this have come from breather?

Reaction score
Country
I’m really bad at explaining things but the rocker cover gasket has a kind of semi-circle shaped bit at the front of the engine and the back. I’ve heard that these can be a bit of a pain and can be one of the more likely places to leak on the gasket.

If it’s ever been removed and refitted in the past there’s a chance it may not have been reseated properly as you almost have to feel the back bit in because you can’t really see it.

Reaction score
Country
smoke test won't reveal boost leaks I'm afraid as they don't get anywhere near the type of pressure you'll be boosting at. You need a proper pressure test.

Reaction score
Country
Ahh waste of money then! They didn't seem worried that smoke was coming out of the rocker cover. I wasn't there to see they just explained over the phone. But that doesn't sound good to me at all.

Reaction score
Im fan of a smoke down test, done properly with air pressure which is how you do them they will show all leaks in your system..I was supprised to see it coming out of my BOV, goes to show how they dont seal properly.. Yes, the smoke would have entered the rocker via the breather pipes..

Reaction score
Country
Yeah just realised they wouldn't have blanked off the breather! New gasket to go on today then redo the smoke test so they can run full cycle. I will also see what pressure they run it too. Cheers