What's new

Forum newbie with newbie questions :)

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

I have recently started looking for a new car and have become hooked on finally buying an S15. I will be 25 soon and was looking at options in the 300-400bhp range such as the 370z, M235i, Golf R, E46 M3. Since I was a kid I have loved old JDM cars and the Silvia was always my favourite (although that 2JZ engine in the supra looks awesome). I figured that as I can pick up a decent S15 for less than a not so decent version of any of the above then why not?? I know they come in around 250bhp stock and do plan to entice a little extra out of it eventually. I also want to import one as I have been in touch with Toque-GT in Devon and am highly impressed with their service (from Darren whom I've seen mentioned on this forum already) so far.

I had a few questions if anyone could help?

1. how easy is it to get an S15 into the 300-400bhp range? I would plan to install new wheels/tyres and coilovers to start with but want to coax out more power eventually. can this be done with "light mods" or will it require a new turbo etc?

2. how is the 6-speed gearbox? One of the few complaints I have heard of the S15 is that the 6-speed is a fair bit more fragile then the 5-speed from the S14. on this note; what are the most common issues to come across with an S15?

3. I know asking about mpg is a bit ridiculous when buying a car like this so please dont burn the witch here. I would like to use the S15 as my daily so what can I expect if I am cruising to work and not playing with the throttle too much? I of course want to drive the car properly a lot of the time but Id rather not have to get a second small diesel car (god forbid) just to calm my wallet.

cheers all for any replies!

see you on the forums :)

Shifty.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Hey,

Piss easy to get an s15 to 700BHP if you have the money.

Even easier to get an s15 to 400bhp. Dont even need to forge the engine and the six speed gear box will be ok.

As for MPG mine does around 28-30 on the motorway and low 20's round town.

To get an s15 to 400 BHP you will need,

Aftermarket ECU
Fuel Pump 280 L/H
Injectors 740CC
Turbo GT2871R or bigger
Intercooler
Clutch / Flywheel
Manifold back de cat exhaust
Air filter
Fuel Pressure regulator
Metal Head Gasket
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Bearings
ARP Con Rod Bolts
Boost controller
Bigger AFM or upgrade to MAF sensor
and about £4k if you were to do it all in one. You would get an s15 to 300 bhp for less than £1200.

Prob forgotten something. But I basically just listed what ive done to mine and its over 400bhp.

Reaction score
Country
Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

Very helpful list too. Anyone else in Midlands recommend a good workshop for jdm's? What should I prioritise for 300bhp? £1200 is very reasonable for that gain. Will start with that and add power as I go. Need to get used to 300 rwd before I wrap 400 around a tree I think. That and money..

Could definitely live with high 20s if you're getting that from a 400bhp set-up. 80% of my commute is motorway and I get 35mpg from my scirocco with a heavy foot.

Thanks again for response :)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

Very helpful list too. Anyone else in Midlands recommend a good workshop for jdm's? What should I prioritise for 300bhp? £1200 is very reasonable for that gain. Will start with that and add power as I go. Need to get used to 300 rwd before I wrap 400 around a tree I think. That and money..

Could definitely live with high 20s if you're getting that from a 400bhp set-up. 80% of my commute is motorway and I get 35mpg from my scirocco with a heavy foot.

Thanks again for response :)
Yea mate,

Garage21 is in the midlands He built my car from a bare shell rebuild, look at my build thread. http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/5618-Zillalife-X-Garage-21-Rocket-Bunny-S15-Drift-Car/page71

Reaction score
Country
Just a guestimaiton and yea that would be a mix of new and used parts.
how difficult is it to fit most of this stuff? not done much beyond changing brake pads before but I have an engineering degree and am willing to learn :D

Reaction score
Country
How much do they run? My colleague just had to have his brake system replaced and it cost nearly 5k! May have been mugged off :D I'm not sure

Reaction score
Country
thanks for replies all. mine are getting moderated so taking a while to be posted.

thanks for advice Tooley; didn't know you were at the cov motor fest. I was there on the saturday watching the drifting under the ring road. didn't see your S15 though. fantastic looking build!