What's new

Another turbo banana..!

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys,

Names James, bought this s15 from Andy (drift works mod) just over a year ago..! Been hanging around SXOC a while but thought its time I show my face around here :p

Most interesting part is it was originally a Spec S, and converted by the owner before Andy to a spec R (6 speed/helical diff/SR20DET) who sadly had to move to Australia for whatever reason and did not keep the car.

-EDIT after digging.. - B9NKO is the guy and he sold the car in 2012 on these forums..!

As i'm still learning a great deal everyday about these cars and the general maintenance / upgrades and was quite short on cash last year, I haven't done too much to it yet.
Have had a go at drifting it and loved every moment.. car is my daily to work and has been perfect.

spec is as follows:

Apexi Power FC with electronic boost solenoid
Blitz intercooler
HKS Silent Hi Power cat back system
Apex De-Cat
3" downpipe
Apex Turbo Elbow
apex turbo braided lines
Defi Boost gauge in stock pod with controller
Apex bushed rear Camber Arms
Apex bushed rear toe arms
Tein Strut brace
Tegiwa engine damper
Tegiwa bmc Stopper
Huge aluminium radiator
HKS air filter
Racing Logic Coilovers
Exedy organic uprated clutch rated to 320 ftlb
Buddy Club P1 Wheels, Rear 17x9 et37 Fronts 17x8 et32 (spaced 5mm all round) - Currently on maxxis maz1 (235 / 215)
Aero rear spats
Aero Front bumper
Stock rear tail lights
Moonface gearknob
Toad ai606 alarm with tilt sensor
6 speed gearbox
Helical rear diff
JCV DVD/USB flatscreen headunit with remote

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Haha it was my first drift day in general mate so cant really comment, I vaguely know the differences with diffs and know welded is the most consistent and reliable way to go... but I was just happy to be sliding fairly decently with a big grin on my face :thumbs:

Picked up an mx5 a few days ago with a 6 speed and torsen LSD to piss about with so maybe i'll pick up on a difference.

The car honestly didnt feel that unpredictable to me though, perhaps more so as the tyres wore out but It felt pretty controllable... *shrugs*

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Haha it was my first drift day in general mate so cant really comment, I vaguely know the differences with diffs and know welded is the most consistent and reliable way to go... but I was just happy to be sliding fairly decently with a big grin on my face :thumbs:

Picked up an mx5 a few days ago with a 6 speed and torsen LSD to piss about with so maybe i'll pick up on a difference.

The car honestly didnt feel that unpredictable to me though, perhaps more so as the tyres wore out but It felt pretty controllable... *shrugs*
I had such a bad experience drifting with the helical :( though i see many MX5s with helical drift/munji fine with it

Reaction score
Country
from what I know helicals are meant to be solid but there will be times it just throws you a curveball, violent snaps etc but how much of that is down to driving skill level im not sure

Reaction score
Country
ok done a **** ton of reading up on it while at work... :wack:

Part of me already wants a 2 way diff hahaha..

explains why I snap so hard in transitions or trying to straighten out occasionally....

Made me eat a fence at pod and fly over a kerb in a previous situation we wont speak anymore of... :rolleyes:

LSD's in general are a very interesting read I must say...

Think i'll stick with the helical as it serves me very well on the road anyway and im still undecided if I want to get deep into drifting with the 15 or get a ****ter..

Also Ive realised the MX5 Torsen LSD is pretty much the same as a Helical in the way that it works so I look like a tool there too? Might have to get a 2 way or weld an open diff to have a bit more fun with that!

I'd assume MX5s arent as bad due to lower torque in general though, probably isnt quite as violent..

Last edited:

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Hey man, that things looks awesome. Love the yellow s15s. Kinda wanted one but my missus has a yellow Suzuki swift so we'd look like a right pair of losers. I'm secretly jealous of all the yellow ones.

Torsen/helical diffs are ok for sliding as long as you're prepared for the odd tank slapper. They're good in the dry and on smooth surfaces tbh. Deffo not bad, but I wouldn't advise intentionally sliding anywhere that doesn't have plenty of room for error. I put a quaife in my chipped 1 series BMW with a set of ARBs and that transformed the handling, allowing me to slide and do donuts, just not in the rain. If I'm honest I prefer viscous to helical but probably none work anymore. I love my 1.5 way tho. Shame they cost so much. Helicals definitely have their place tho, going as fast as you can without sliding is just a different kind of buzz :)

anyway, lovely car :thumbs:

mbb

Reaction score
Country
Just weld an open diff if you are going to do alot of drifting. but you daily it, go for a 1.5 or 2 way. its not that bad to daily

Reaction score
Country
thanks for comments guys :) and I reckon you should go all out for the colour co-ordination sib, ive certainly seen worse things in my time :ghey:

Yeah gotta agree that it feels amazing street driving wise.. aaaand yeah I have had some dodgy situations with not much room for error... pretty lucky there in fairness (wish I understood all this back then)... I kinda just dont want to feel like the helical is holding me back..

I do think the MX5 will be an easier platform for learning to control the tank slappers atleast as its far less meaty, will go as far as I can before I think about a 1.5/2way, trouble is both cars are used on daily commutes still :eek: