What's new

another newbie added!

B

Bizz

Hey everyone! :wave:

I've been drooling over S15's for a while now... and will do for quite sometime until I save enough money! :nod: :smitten:
However, I do have some questions.. first and foremost:
Why did Australia get the 140ish KW version? I feel so ripped off :cry: lol
And is the aussie version just de-tuned or is there something different in the engine?

Oh and we seem to have a 'GT' version, anything special there? Compared to regular Spec S/R?
And finally, what's the difference between the Spec S and Spec R?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Great Site! :notworthy:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

I believe main differences to the ADM S15s were down to emissions and cost. The engine wasn't detuned, as such. More strangled. It was given a more restrictive exhaust and a fuel map for 95RON. Both had the effect of dropping the power down. These are things pretty easily overcome with a decent exhaust and tweaking :)

The ADM S15s missed out on some of the JDM goodies, such as climate control, electric folding mirrors, and numerous other accessories. As far as the ADM Spec S and R go, they are both turbo cars (the JDM Spec S is N/A), but the Spec S has less body kit, etc, and is therefore lighter.

The GT was the last of the ADM S15s and was probably the most similar to the JDM Spec R Aero. It gained leather seats as well as the Aero body kit.

NZ S15s are virtually identical to JDM.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Interestingly, I just found an old article on Autospeed about exhaust flowing which describes the ADM S15 exhaust:

It's fair to say most OE (original equipment) exhaust systems are less than ideal from a go-fast point of view.

A factory exhaust is a carefully developed system with broad emphasis on emissions, noise, longevity, simplicity and - of course - manufacturing cost. Unlike us, the factory is not focussed predominantly on minimising backpressure in the search for engine power.

Let's take a close look at the post-turbine exhaust system fitted to the 147kW Nissan S15 200SX/Silvia as an example...

Inside the S15's cast iron dump pipe you'll find ugly lumps and bumps, and its outlet diameter is quite restrictive at only 57mm ID. Following this is the front section of steel pipe, which measures 54mm ID at the front and tapers to only 45mm ID at the rear. Like every other section of standard system, this pipe is heavily press-bent (the crushed cross-sectional area throughout the bend radius is indicative of a press-formed bend).

The standard catalytic converter bolts to the back of the front pipe, and - interestingly - it has a much larger 66mm ID inlet and outlet. Flowing on from the cat is the so-called intermediate pipe, which - again - closes down to 45mm ID all the way along its length. A centre resonator is integrated into the intermediate pipe.

Once past the axle, gasses flow into a bend and - finally - the Calsonic rear muffler. The right-angle bent pipe leading into the muffler is 45mm ID and the box has twin 42mm ID outlets.

Not surprisingly, the S15's standard exhaust system is extremely restrictive in its role of flowing the exhaust gasses of a 147kW engine. The system's flow capacity is impaired by small diameters, press-formed bends, poor contours inside the dump pipe, and - we guess - a restrictive catalytic converter, resonator and muffler.

It's a shocker.
And further in the same article:

To give you an idea of what's possible, bolting a full turbo-back aftermarket exhaust to a Nissan S15 200SX/Silvia can give up to 16 percent extra power (partly thanks to a simultaneous boost increase of up to 1.8 psi).