What's new

Holly - 19, Tasmania Australia.

S

SillySilvia

Im Holly, im 19 and im new here!

Ive recently gotten my hands onto a 2002 Spec R, s15 Nissan Silvia. Stock as a block.
After being around the car scene for a few years and learning all about them, i soon took on a love for Nissans - First car being an old faithful N13 Pulsar. So i wanted to stay in the Nissan family.

S

SillySilvia

Yes, Yes, 19 and i do own a Spec R. :)
Through AAMI its about 2.5K a year, and if stolen/totaled ill only get 13k back for it :( Which is a little disheartening. Although i picked it up for MEGA cheap. So am lucky in that sense.

S

SillySilvia

haha, im not into all the hard style 'drift spec' crap. I purely like the car for the sleek image. (The power does impress me a hell of a lot though)

Reaction score
not completely stock, can see a front mount intercooler hidden behind the front bar. Try getting a quote through just cars, mines $1K a year and agreed value of $24K (although i'm over 25). I live in Hobart, are you up north or down south?

S

SillySilvia

You are right there ;) But still. I think ive gone through just cars but im pretty sure thats when i was sussing out third party (i then realised i was being stupid, and am now looking into full comp). Im in Launie, but my car originated from down there :) Although it is an absolute dream, im finding a few - not so reasuring things wrong with it. :(

S

SillySilvia

When i first start her up, (the owner told me to sit and warm her up a bit.. but have been told since then that its not REALLY needed) I sit for a little bit, but when i start driving the car/accelerator is really laggy... like it loses 'umph'? Also, when idling, on start up it sits at about 12 grand... but will drop to 700 once warmed up.. But often when sitting at lights it will jump from 500-200-100, by this time i put my foot on the accelerator to bounce it back up - once i do this it sits at 700 again. (im not really that good on proper terms, but i am learning :p)

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Idling high and then dropping down when start from cold is normal. It's the cold start in the throttle holding it open to allow more air through until the engine is warm.

The other issue sounds like the idle control valve, it might need cleaning out or setting up. I'll try and dig out some info later :)

S

SillySilvia

The lagging Being caused by idle control valve?? They guy I got it from said it was doing it because it needs a tune?? I'm unsure on what gives you hints to a car needing a tune :p

Reaction score
Country
for a start find out what size the exhaust is going from the turbo back and what type of intake its got, since you have a front mount intercooler. if all 3 are not there and it only just a front mount intercooler then yes your boost will be very laggy, and being on the ADM ecu which is way under powered you will have heaps of lag due to the large space which it needs to fill in the intercooler

Reaction score
If it is still running the stock computer and it has had a nice big front mount fitted I'm not suprised its a bit laggy and the idle is hunting

drifter

Reaction score
Country
The lagging Being caused by idle control valve?? They guy I got it from said it was doing it because it needs a tune?? I'm unsure on what gives you hints to a car needing a tune :p
No, your **** idle could be caused by the valve. It's not unusual for Sr's to be run with an FMIC without a tune without causing loads of lag and running issues.

S

SillySilvia

Just when i thought i was learning a fair bit about my car - i jump on here and think again!! :p People are very judgmental here when they see a female driving any sort of performace/sports car.. So there is alot of pressure for me to know 'everything'/

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Hey Holly,

Don't take it the wrong way, the guys are doing their best to help you. It can be very difficult to diagnose a car over the internet. There is no pressure on here, but I can guarantee there are plenty of males who know less about cars than you do!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I am the first to admit I had no idea about anything mechanical when I got mine but am really pleased that I met people through here that could help me learn and make informed decisions into what to buy and how to fit it.

I have a similar issue with when I come to a set of lights the idle dropping away, I just blip the throttle to 1000rpm on coming to a stop and it stabilises. I think it is very common. Some people say it might be the 'hot wire' in the Air Flow Meter being clogged up by for example oil from an aftermarket filter, and to try and clean it with a little bit of brake cleaner but no joy for me. I'll keep my technique until I get a standalone ECU that does away with the AFM and will see if anything changes.

p.s. I got my car from a lady and didn't mind in the slightest, I think it is awesome to have ladies as interested in cars as the rest of us on here

S

SillySilvia

I appreciate them trying to help. My reply wasnt supposed to sound defensive, at all.. Just saying i have lots more to learn :p I meant judgment here as in around Tas, woops.. Sorry guys!

S

SillySilvia

Max, i have started to do this over the past couple of days. Help it 'bump' back up to 1k.. sometimes it gets really low like 100rpm .. and i have never really let it go to see what happens until yesterday (i just bump it back to normal idle) - it stalls but then it just restarts itself, in a split second. Weird.

I think its just Aus (Tas in particular) where its not very common for females to be into cars. My dads a mechanic and out of my brother and i, i was the one that took to cars - asking 21 questions every hour. Then as i grew older and started getting out a bit more, i found the performance side of cars, have been in love ever since :p

Reaction score
Country
if there is anything we say that you dont understand, just ask for clarification, keeping in mind that we have no idea what you know or dont know