What's new

ProdriftUK

Reaction score
Country
A big :thumbs: for Charlie @ http://www.prodriftuk.com/ for getting me an absolute minter of a white Aero S15. Cant reccomend him enough for all his help, even spent a whole day fitting all my mods (suspension, full turbo back exhaust system) for nothing before i picked it up :D.

Also has lovely other cars there including a gorgeous bayside blue R34 GTR :smitten:.

Charlie really does pride himself on making sure the car is good quality before buying from the auction, avoiding anything below grade 4 or R (including 1 grade on S15's) even paid for further inspection on vehicles his agent couldnt check on (non Tokyo auctions).

Overall completely trustworthy in my experience which i find a hard thing to come by these days when it comes to buying anything motor related.

Reaction score
Mine to came from charlie.... well worth a visit if someone's in the market for one! :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
so you finally got it then mate!

wish i'd have done a little more research before buying mine, i would of gone to him had i known! oh well seems to be going fine now, what you reckon of yours so far? not quite a huge jump from the fto in terms of standard performance are they but they do seem to have a lot of potential!

Reaction score
i'd personally say they're leagues above the FTO. (not havin' owned one though... and also knowing you're not directing that question at me) Performance is massively different.... lad locally to me has an FTO, always see him about,.... he always tries to chase too.... LOL let you work out the rest.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
all depends what fto he's got. and im not talking about the power output or speed, just that the 6 cylinder in the fto seemed to rev a lot faster and more freely, and compared to the turbo the power delivery is completely different. the s15 doesnt feel as fast as it is, whereas the fto gave you the sensation of going fast even at slower speeds - if you know what i mean.

Reaction score
Country
To be honest mine flies, it reaches peak boost by about 4.5K RPM as the car stop pulling after that so im getting through the gears like nobody's business. I do have a brand new full turbo back system and APEXI pod filter mind you which im sure helps spool up time greatly and adds to peak power ;).

Its obviously not as smooth as my FTO (Manual GPX) but the sheer accelleration when on boost is much faster :). Must also add that the car feels more solid and stable so might not give such a sensation of speed i guesss ?

I just cant get over the condition of it, now ive given a good clean inside out its like a new car, i even rubbed down and buffed back up the headlights so they are like glass!! The underside is like a 1 year old car that has never been out on a wet day...seems such a shame to have to coat it all in waxoyl :(

PS - Can any moderators please move this thread to the Importers section, realised i put it in the wrong bloody room :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
To be honest mine flies, it reaches peak boost by about 4.5K RPM as the car stop pulling after that so im getting through the gears like nobody's business. I do have a brand new full turbo back system and APEXI pod filter mind you which im sure helps spool up time greatly and adds to peak power ;).

Its obviously not as smooth as my FTO (Manual GPX) but the sheer accelleration when on boost is much faster :). Must also add that the car feels more solid and stable so might not give such a sensation of speed i guesss ?

I just cant get over the condition of it, now ive given a good clean inside out its like a new car, i even rubbed down and buffed back up the headlights so they are like glass!! The underside is like a 1 year old car that has never been out on a wet day...seems such a shame to have to coat it all in waxoyl :(

PS - Can any moderators please move this thread to the Importers section, realised i put it in the wrong bloody room :rolleyes:
mine was like this too, only takes a couple of rainy days before the underside starts to look a bit dirty. as for the speed thing, yes mine is fast and hits peak boost at around the same revs (without double checking)iirc (approx 0.7bar), but as the boost starts to drop off would be around the time mivec would cut in. its a shame it isn't fitted with vvt as that would have made it all the more awesome.

still, wont be long before i get a turbo back system fitted, what setup did you settle on in the end as far as dp, turbo pipe and decat. any problems with mountings lining up etc and how was the quality and sound??

oh and i agree about feeling more stable, i havent been frightened yet as it feels really planted and handles well.

Last edited:
P

Pazz

its a shame it isn't fitted with vvt as that would have made it all the more awesome.
Oh dear :wack: When you say "it" - which car are you on about? I thought FTO MIVEC = VVT?

Which means you are saying you wished the S15 had VVT? :wack: :wack: :wack:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
sorry,re-read and yep i see what you mean.:rotfl:
the mivec i had was vvt, but on an s15 vvt could be set to take over where the boost drops off, continuing to pull hard up to the redline.

Reaction score
Country
still, wont be long before i get a turbo back system fitted, what setup did you settle on in the end as far as dp, turbo pipe and decat. any problems with mountings lining up etc and how was the quality and sound??
THS Performance Elbow and Front Pipe, APEX S13 Decat, Trust PEII cat back exhaust.

Quality of all 4 parts is very good, although Charlie showed me a much cheaper ebay jobbie exhaust and the quality did look good, said it was just as good as many other branded items hes fitted, just depends if you want branded or not.

Cant say how easy it was to fit as Charlie did it all for me, he mentioned the elbow was a pain in the ass but i think this is the same with all elbows ?

Soundwise is great, its very subtle on tickover but sounds lovely on boost, also no droning at motorway speeds. Think you really need the full system with the PEII otherwise it might be a bit too quiet though.

P

Pazz

but on an s15 vvt could be set to take over where the boost drops off, continuing to pull hard up to the redline.
I dunno what you guys are driving like but for starters the SR20DET in s14/a and S15 variants use VCT or Variable Cam Timing which is a form of VVT. Type it in google or wiki or sumthin. Probably not quite as effective as the VTEC system Honda use but then who wants compression ratios that high :rolleyes:

Secondly, I'm not sure what you are saying with "the boost drops off" it should stay constant after rising to a peak on a stock setup at anything after 5k.

It should peak at 0.9kg/cm3 on the stock boost gauge in 3rd/4th/5th/6th.

But driving a turbo motor is very different to a NA motor especially in the way it delivers the power. NA motors are a lot smoother in their power deliver and imo are a lot more boring to drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Its not the actual boost that drops its just the boost in power, peak power in the S15 comes in quite early compared to my FTO. In that you need to rev it to over 8000rpm like the VTEC before changing gear to get the most out of the power. In my S15 i dont need to redline it as ive reached peak power earlier.

Also the MIVEC system allows both valve timing and lift, very similar to the VTEC, both of which are more advanced than the S15's VVT system. However the S15 doesnt need this as the turbo does the job of deliverying the power boost throughout the rev range.

I love tuned NA cars, id rather have a highly tuned NA over a turbo but they cost so much to get to the same state of power. Also a tuned NA comes on power instantly, this makes them excellent on the track as it allows better throttle/power control.

P

Pazz

Its not the actual boost that drops its just the boost in power, peak power in the S15 comes in quite early compared to my FTO. In that you need to rev it to over 8000rpm like the VTEC before changing gear to get the most out of the power. In my S15 i dont need to redline it as ive reached peak power earlier.
When the turbo comes in (around 3kish lets say) this is not peak power. Its just a significant power difference. Peak power wlll (usually) be just before redline.

For example here is a r/r read out from a random Ford Mondeo running a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo.

Notice how the incline of either of the lines at 2.2k-3.5k is not the same as the incline from 3.7k-4.5kish. This is the "peak power" you are talking about and when the turbo starts to come in. But notice how it doesnt reach actual peak power until 6kish on the bold line.

Useful in some respects but this is not the best example, looks like there is some hesitation.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
maybe i just need to alter my driving style as it seems to be that im still in 'na' mode a little, and yes as was said, the power seems to start to drop off at high revs rather than the boost. this is what i meant.

4d_dc2

Coming from an integra type r I respect where the ftslow boys are coming from I thought my Teg felt as fast as my s15 but when I went up against It I ripped it to pieces (in a straight line anyway) I still think my teg would kill it round a track and on a twisty b road tho.

Andy