What's new

Importing to Ireland not the UK

Reaction score
Country
Hey Folks.

At sometime around march (hopefully), I will be owning an S15.
Looking at importing and heard that you can import a car to Ireland and save a fair whack on them.

Just wondering if any one can shed some light on this for me?

Many thanks

Sam

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I would be very surprised if it wasn't the other way around, there is massive taxes and charges to import here but I think you might have more restrictions on what you can import in the UK (can pretty much bring in what you want here in any spec - you just pay through the nose for it)

Reaction score
Country
Ohhh, I was at a meet and got talking to a few guys and they said if I get a car imported to Ireland I could save a couple grand. I will have to look into it more but you know what some people are like, always over exaggerating.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Basically over here the Revenue estimate an open market value on the car and then apply the EU standard import duty @ 10%, apply Value Added Tax @ 23% (to the value + 10%) and then apply Vehicle Registration Tax @ 36% ([on the value + 10%]+23%) - so I would be very surprised if it was cheaper than the UK..

Edit;

He probably meant buying a car that was already registered over here, prices on S15's took a nose dive over the last few years so you could get a spec R for as little as €6-8k (albeit for a not so clean one) about 18 months ago but they're on the way back up now (€10-14k for a clean car)

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah they defo ment buy one in Ireland already! That's what I did and bought a spec R for 6,9k. It was abit ropey but was cheap!!
Buying one and registering it to Ireland and then uk would be stupid! Worth a look on Irish sites like done deal. But see if you can make an Irish friend who will go look at the car for you as the owner of my car was a right pikey!

Reaction score
Really don't think you would get one for less the 10k now you could buy a ropey one but you're going to spend a couple of grand on it, most of the really good ones would be up in the 14k range if you can get any one to sale did you look at matts one to me that's a good deal