What's new

Private motor trade insurance

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I know a few people on here are in the motor trade so a quick one for you guys..

I've got 3 cars at the moment and am fed up of paying for seperate insurance policys so have been enquiring about private motor traders policys for road risk only. The first quote I've had back was something silly like £3000 but I've just had another quote that covers literally any car (imported, modified etc) for £1750.

This covers vehicles up to £7500, road risk only, any car, no trade ncb, 6 years private ncb..

How reasonable does this sound? It's hard for me to judge, not having had a policy like this before.

Cheers :)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Sounds a good deal to me...

I have a home fleet insurance (through my company) with tradex which is 2k a year. Car's on the insurance are the s15, volvo XC90 and the wife's suzuki swift all full comp with unlimited mileage. Pretty sure you don't need a company to setup a policy worth a call though..

When I first got it i was only paying 1400 but I had a clapped c70 which was worth scrap.

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
They didn't even ask me what cars I have myself when I got that price. I just said I needed modified and imported cars covered too. The S15 will only be on it for a month as it's going to it's new home soon sadly :(

Do you know if they usually cover bikes on the same policy? Forgot to ask that bit.

Reaction score
I have one, covers imports and modified but third party only. My s15 is on a seperate policy for that reason. Its good to have and I paid around £850. Its with tradewise

Reaction score
I've been looking at this aswell because my insurance is due next week and I need to keep the S15 insured for the road tax and possible viewings and I'm meant to be picking an Evo up aswell. I was also thinking of getting a daily runner to burn around in.

Reaction score
Country
Be very careful guys.

They will take your money, no problems but when it comes to claiming you may find they are not forthcoming with a cheque if you aren't actually a trader/company. The DVLA defines a trader as selling at least 6 cars a year (minimum requirement for getting trade plates).
You are effectively giving false details to obtain insurance. You don't want to be standing next to your pride and joy wrapped around a tree when they ask you to prove you're a trader or your insurance is invalid.

I'd look at the multi-car policies a lot of the insurance companies are doing now. I was shocked at how cheap they were.

Reaction score
Country
my dad has a traders policy as he has his own car sales and his is 3.5k but that is with buildings and contents cover too. covers him on anything upi to the value of 35k but has to notify them if the vehicle is worth more. covers bikes, cars, lorries etc as long as you have corresponding liscence

he keeps saying he'll put me on it but everytime its been mentioned ive had a shunt...sigh lol