What's new

Decat come mot?

S

S15 SILVIA

Hi.
Just de-catted my Silv, and wondered if I could gamble mot-ing it with this fitted?
Anyone put their car through a test and passed, or should I not be so lazy and just swap it when the time comes? :)
thanks mike

Reaction score
Country
I failed may MOT when I did the de-cat, thought I take a chance aswel heh.
If I was you Mike just put in the cat for the MOT and just take it back out again.

S

S15 SILVIA

Yeh thought I may have to, just wondered if it was worth the gamble.
Any idea if yours failed on emissions, or the fact they saw the decat pipe? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
depends on where you get it mot'd. if you've got a friendly local garage who you can build a relationship with.. do it. it will do you a world of good in the long run. and mysteriously pass emissions test with a decat fitted! its amazing what a crate of stella can do ;)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's not what you know, it's who you know. There's no way it would pass decatted.

Reaction score
The MOT garage I go to are proper anal. They failed my car for having JDM square plates and my sisters bog standard merc a-class because it didn't have washer fluid. But they didn't even do an emissions test on my S15 or S14 as apparantly any car they test that has a big exhaust always fails, so they just pass them. They even said to me that I had a decat pipe when they took the car up on the ramps to check out the underneath.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If anyones local to me and needs an MOT, give me a shout. Can't completely take the p*ss though..

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I always change mine over for my local garage, it's not a long job though it's a bit inconvenient, I'd never expect him to pass it without it as it's a small family business and if the ministry turned up when I drove the thing out he would be in heaps of trouble if they demand a retest in thier presence which they can on the spot...

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You could carry the cat on the back seat and say you took it off afterwards but like you say, it's not a big job to swap it and saves any hassle. I can't get a cat on my system though as I had it made without provision for one to be fitted.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Shouldn't the S15 be put through on a basic idle test? As there is no UK model equivalent for the emission levels.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I thought that originally but most testers seem to disagree. I did once have an idle test done and it failed that too. There is an emissions data on the V5C but not sure if it's for idle or normal.